HELP! Wiring on Gantry crane controllers. New Model 4 Old - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Chi_Twn_Luv
Hobo

Unhappy HELP! Wiring on Gantry crane controllers. New Model 4 Old

HELP! I purchased a Gantry crane and the controller didn't have a "lock" for the magnet. So I purchased an older model control which had the lock option. After spending a couple hours tracing leads and trying to match the action from the wiring of the controls then trying different combinations to try to get it to work I got nothing. I know the crane works with the new model controller, and after getting frustrated with the wiring I just put the new model controller back in. But I REALLY want to get the old model version working.

The pics attached are the controllers and their associated solder points/circuit boards.

I'm a NOVICE when it comes to wiring, so any help in basic pictures or drawings would genuinely be appreciated. THANK YOU!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6925.jpg (1.47 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6926.jpg (1.67 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6923.jpg (1.75 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6924.jpg (1.56 MB, 1 views)
Chi_Twn_Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Fabforrest
Dispatcher

I wanted to do that once for the same reason (no magnet lockj and was advised by a repair expert that they were incompatible. IIRC it was a power issue. I will see if I can find his response.
Fabforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Chi_Twn_Luv
Hobo

DAMN! I hope that's not the case. Thanks for the response!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
tootle
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: O
It appears the two are indeed not compatible. If you look at the newer controller you'll note there are four diodes that become part of the motor circuits when the levers are engaged. (Diagram attached) Those diodes are missing from the older controller. My guess is the motors are also different between the newer crane and the one that the older controller was attached to originally.

You may want to consider a physical modification to the newer controller that allows you to lock the magnet control in place temporarily. But first, you may wish to consider the downside of a magnet that overheats (and they do get hot) if you neglect to turn it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gantry Crane Schematic.jpg (77.9 KB, 2 views)
tootle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Fabforrest
Dispatcher

i can't find the exchange. must have tossed it. do remember it was a no go.
Fabforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Chi_Twn_Luv
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootle View Post
It appears the two are indeed not compatible. If you look at the newer controller you'll note there are four diodes that become part of the motor circuits when the levers are engaged. (Diagram attached) Those diodes are missing from the older controller. My guess is the motors are also different between the newer crane and the one that the older controller was attached to originally.

You may want to consider a physical modification to the newer controller that allows you to lock the magnet control in place temporarily. But first, you may wish to consider the downside of a magnet that overheats (and they do get hot) if you neglect to turn it off.
Really hoping that's not the case, the motors can't be that different right? And then the leads seem like they'd engage the same action, isn't it just a matter of connecting the circuit to move the crane? Again, I'm a novice so I'm asking questions to learn something here.

Tags
controller , gantry crane , lionel , wiring