Lionchief Plus compatibility - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
BikerDS
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn3, O (Lionel)
Lionchief Plus compatibility

After several members of this forum pointed me to the soon to be released Lionchief Plus 2.0, I'm strongly considering getting one of these for my O scale layout. Before I place an order, I have a few questions for folks already running Lionchief locos:

1) can these run on a DCS layout without interference? Some of the layouts in the area are DCS, and I would want to be able to run on them.

2) Is there an operating range on the remote? How far from the loco can I be and still maintain control?

3) Lionel provides a mobile phone app to control the loco. Is this a Blue Tooth connection to the loco and if so how far from the loco can I be and maintain control.

4) Has anyone heard of any plans to offer an upgrade of a Lionchief Plus to 2.0?
BikerDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
danpuckett
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O gauge and HO
Lionchief plus on DCS layout

I have run MTH DCS with my Lionel transformer, but I did not run the Lionel on MTH power because I was told the MTH DCS runs about 22 volts while Lionel runs about 18 volts. I was warned that the higher voltage might damage the Lionel components. I will be glad to hear an answer from those more experienced.
danpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Norton
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, 3R 1/48
MTH will run fine at 18 volts, even a bit lower. With the track voltage at 18 volts you can pretty much run all command engines together.
Can't help with the range of Lionchief though.
MTH Z4000s will put out 22 volts but no reason to set it at max. Post War ZWs will put out even higher voltages.

Pete
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
DCS runs at 18 volts. I have one LC+ loco that runs just fine on my DCS layout alongside my MTH PS2 and PS3 locos. LC will also run on a DCS layout. I suspect LC+ 2.0 will also get along with DCS, but haven’t looked into it. Not sure on the range question. It’s at least 20’. I doubt if we will ever see an LC to LC+ 2.0 upgrade kit.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Volphin
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O and G
I do know that my LC and LC+ locos run up to 40 ft away through walls and did not interfere with my DCS system. Nor do my BT enables Legacy engines... so I'm pretty sure it will be all good. The paint however...
You never know when the end of the line will appear before you, so linger at each station just a little longer with your friends, or make a new one. It will enrich both journeys and keep you on track.

TCA# 15-70824
Volphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
They will all co-exist well together.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
In general, DCS and TMCC/Legacy play well together. However, on larger layouts, or layouts with marginal DCS signals due to wiring/track layout, you can experience issues with DCS with the TMCC/Legacy signal on the track as well.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
BikerDS
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn3, O (Lionel)
Thank you all for the information - just what I was hoping to learn. If it is unlikely that an upgrade path will exist, I'll hold off until the 2.0 are here.
BikerDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
There will be no upgrade for LC and LC+ to LC+ 2.0 if that's what you're asking.