Atlas Code 100 Snap Switch vs Peco switch - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
FiremistSLK
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Atlas Code 100 Snap Switch vs Peco switch

For my new layout I plan on using Atlas Code 100 snap track. The plan requires four #4 and two #6 Snap Switches. After reading all about the Atlas snap switch problems with longer cars and six-wheel locomotives, I want to use Peco switches. Are the Peco #4 and #6 switches a direct replacement size for the Atlas code 100 snap switches? If yes, which Peco switches should I purchase?? Is there anything else I must consider when making the change to Peco switches.Thanks.... JOHN
FiremistSLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Dennis461
Dispatcher

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/11/t/66100.aspx
Old 12-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
DonR
Train Master

No. The Peco turnouts are NOT DIRECT replacements
for Atlas turnouts. The measurements and geometry
are different.

However, if you are using flex track you can easily
overcome those differences, and you should. Peco
turnouts just do not cause derails. It would be
worth your trouble to go with Peco. I prefer
their Insulfrog version. While they are power
routing, they require less work. Those with
small 4 wheel locos should consider the Peco Electrofrog
models but others will find the Insulfrog totally
dependable.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Atlas Snap Switches really aren't #4 and #6. Snap Switches have a curved diverging leg that makes up 15 degrees of an 18" diameter turn. Perhaps you're looking at Custom Line switches, which have a straight diverging leg and therefore a frog number.

Unfortunately, no two manufacturer's turnouts are exactly the same dimensions, so yes, you will have to deal with this issue if you convert.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
FiremistSLK
Hobo

Thanks for the quick reply! Since the layout is still in the planning stages (I'm using SCARM track planning software) I will make the adjustments to the plan when the track is being put down to accommodate the PECO switches.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Peco vs Atlas turnouts, no contest! Peco wins by a mile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremistSLK View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Since the layout is still in the planning stages (I'm using SCARM track planning software) I will make the adjustments to the plan when the track is being put down to accommodate the PECO switches.
FiremistSLK;

Your research-based decision to use Peco's excellent turnouts instead of Atlas's "considerably-less-than-excellent"(aka lousy) Snap Switches is right on the money. I have used both Atlas "Snap "Switch" turnouts and Peco turnouts at different times in my long model railroad experience. In my opinion, Peco is simply the best built, most reliable, least derailing, turnout commercially available. The Atlas "Snap Switch" is one of the very worst. You are wise to go with Peco.
Since you're in the design phase, I suggest you look through the attached files for more information on picking which type of layout you prefer, and more info on turnouts. That's your choice, of course.

Good luck & have fun;

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf
Old 12-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
FiremistSLK
Hobo

Thank you Traction Fan. Looks like I'll have some reading to do tonight .
Old 12-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #8
holava
Banned

I have never had a problem with Atlas Custom Line Mark 3 or 4 turnouts or Roco curved turnouts and I do use all kinds of the longest freight and passenger car equipment requiring at least 24'' radius curves, but I would also recommend Piko A gleis wide radius ( 36 " ) turnouts and double switch crossings DKW as I use many many without any issues for years. Yet to connect to the black Atlas snap track, though it's the same code 100 rail, you need to take off the narrow Piko railjoiners and use the Atlas ones to connect easily. Piko A gleis is also a great quality kind of track, and as good as Atlas and Peco. These 3 options are the best. I learned the hard way years ago, I started with Bachmann Ez Track, hundreds of feet of track, dozens of turnouts and double crossings, all worth thousands of dollars, without counting the out-of-this world shipping to a third world country for this really heavy equipment. I sold it all with great losses, but that hitting rockbottom really hard, I cried when tearing the huge layout apart for weeks, has made me the happiest railroader ever since 5 - 6 years ago.
holava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
FiremistSLK
Hobo

That's quite a story Holava.... I am feeling some of your pain as I tried to get into slot cars last year with the intention of having some fun with my grandson. He quickly lost interest leaving me with about $900 worth of slot cars and track that I will be trying to sell for .50 cents on the dollar (if I'm lucky). That is why I am getting back into HO for a hobby that I can do by myself. Anyway. I decided to change all of the turnouts in my design to Atlas Customline #6. Your post has made this decision easer for me. Thank you.... JOHN
Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
Atlas customline no. 6 turnouts are quite reasonable ... that pretty much all i use here on my layout, all with minor mods to power to the points, and frog depth ..
Time well spent, so far seven or so years of trouble free operation ..

wvgca is online now   Reply With Quote