Layout Choice - Good? or find a better one? - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
You've gotten a lot of advice so far, but two points really jump out at me that need to be emphasized. First of all, the only rules that apply to your layout are physical ones, such as how many locos can you fun on the DCC system you chose, how much resistance is in your track, how tight you can make your curves and still get reliable running, how smooth your track work is, etc. There is absolutely no requirement that your layout resemble a real place, or even have any scenery at all. As long as your trains have room to pass on adjacent track, there is no reason why you can't cram track into every available inch of layout space. You do what you want. Consider, though, that most people aren't content to watch a train chase its tail all day. Eventually, they want to actually DO something with the trains. This is where structures, scenery, and other non-track items become important. It's much better to think this stuff through in advance than to rip out and redo large sections of a layout.

The other point is that, so far, your thinking is squarely in the box. You have all this space available to you, and you're thinking of a small rectangle in the middle and a ton of wasted space all around. Think about how you can use that space (the layout design forum will help a lot, especially the two sticky threads with layout plans). 10 x 15 is a very nice space, really; it would be a shame to waste it on a 4x8 or 5x9. If you really CAN relocate to the other part of the basement, don't think about moving the whole layout; think about how you can selectively use some of that space to complement your layout, like a yard, a return loop, or even a whole separate section.

Since you're new to the hobby, be careful of biting off more than you can chew. Start small, but plan to build modularly, so that expansion is easy, and planned from the outset.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #12
MichaelE
Station Master

I like continuous running too with a train change every now and then or running two on the same track while balancing the speed of each. I'm a watcher and I don't like to be bothered with switching or other operations that keep me from enjoying the watching.

I have other aspects of model railroading to keep me busy like scenery, structures, lighting, signaling, etc.

I have just built a 76"x18" extension to the layout for a five track yard for train storage and staging. It is not going to be any sort of a switching location or for building trains.

I'm starting to accumulate more trains than I have active track space for, and I don't like displaying trains or locomotives on a shelf. I want them on the track and ready to go when I want to run them.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:03 AM   #13
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Shelf layout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremistSLK View Post
Well I found this HO layout on line and I really like it. http://tysmodelrailroad.blogspot.com...-planning.html I am a "continous run" kind of guy, but will most likely add on a 2'x4' yard in the future. Since I have only a 10' x 15' room for my layout, this 4'x8' one fits the bill for me. Before I start to purchase lots of stuff, I wanted to put this question out there. Good choice? Has anyone built this besides TY? Please feel free to comment or offer any advice or opinion. I can take it.

FiremistSLK;

A 10' x 15' room should be more than adequate for a good shelf layout, with the continuous running that you want. The "sections 3 & 4" part of my six-file series, "How to build a better first layout" shows four sketches, three of which will work well in HO-scale, of such layouts, designed to fit a smaller room. You could simply extend any of the three out to fit your larger room.

The track plan on your link is a typical 4x8 track-cram type. There is nothing "wrong" with building this type of layout, but the track plan is not something a real railroad would ever build. So, if it's supposed to be a model of, (or at least close to) a part of a real railroad, then it isn't.

However, some folks don't care about realism. They are quite content to just watch trains go around and around, in oval, and figure-eight, patterns. Again, nothing "wrong" with this approach either, it's just a matter of your personal preference.

A shelf layout often takes up less space than a 4x8 one, yet it looks, and operates, more like a real railroad. It also provides easy access to all of the track. A 4x8 that butts up against a wall, or two walls, does not provide easy access. Four feet is an awfully long reach, and yet the back track will need cleaning,occasional maintenance, and the re-railing of trains, just as much as the front track. The attached files have lots of information on model railroads in general, and shelf layouts in particular. Look through them if you want, you may find them helpful.

Your railroad, your choice. Whatever makes you happy will automatically be the "right" type of railroad for you.

Good luck and Have fun!

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

Old 12-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
Chip
Engineer

oh no, My layout is of no particular time or place! Are the MRR police gonna come and taze me? No absolutes to a train set except the train. Build it, lay track and have fun. Change it, remake it, personalize it how you will. Put down what you want to see run on and run it.

Your Road...your rules.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
quigly7777
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
oh no, My layout is of no particular time or place! Are the MRR police gonna come and taze me? No absolutes to a train set except the train. Build it, lay track and have fun. Change it, remake it, personalize it how you will. Put down what you want to see run on and run it.

Your Road...your rules.
My attitude exactly! I like to watch my trains run, buy what appeals to me no matter the era, etc. I even have oodes of hot wheels jut cause they are cool, so what is a little big!

I built a version of the Granite Gorge and Northern to watch, minimal switching, etc.
quigly7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #16
FiremistSLK
Hobo

Ha Ha ...Yup! Well said Chip... and quigly7777. I like to watch my trains run, too. And on a large bench type layout. I do not care for the "around the room" type layouts. I will never design a layout that resembles a REAL railroad. No one would know it but the person that built it! So... I will expand the layout of my choice (the one built by TY) to 5x9 and design it a little better using 24"r for the main line and minimum 22"r on the remainder of the plan. A small yard will replace the turntable. Remember, I want to run the big 6 wheel diesels and DCC. Thanks to all for your input... John
FiremistSLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #17
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Just out of curiosity, what is it about around the rom-type layouts that you don't like.

And FWIW, that wasn't what I was suggesting, just that you make better use of the space you have.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #18
FiremistSLK
Hobo

It's not so much what I don't like about around the room layouts, it's more of what I DO like about a bench layout. I remember as a 14 year old building my first layout on a 4x6 piece of plywood. It was a very basic layout. I liked seeing the entire layout in front of me, and enjoyed watching the train move into a tunnel on the upper level and come out on the lower level, not running around the room behind me. I understand that there are pros to a full room layout. It's just not what I prefer.

Last edited by FiremistSLK; 12-17-2019 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: TMI
Old 12-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #19
J.Albert1949
Engineer

OP:

What kind of track will you be using?

You might consider a 4x8 with a small "extension", such as the "Black River Junction" plan.

I've seen a number of Bachmann EZ track plans for 4x8 (or a slightly larger L-shaped layout). All looked quite usable for 2 trains running at once.
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
FiremistSLK
Hobo

J.Albert... I have decided to use Atlas CODE 100 track. It is what I am used to. I am aware of the CODE 83 track and that it is more realistic looking, but I just like the CODE 100 track more. It is what I am used to. I looked at the BRJ plan as you suggested. I like it but I'm going to go with my original idea. I'll expand the plan to 5x9 so as to allow for larger radius curves as I agree that I will need them to run the modern locos. Thanks...