My 312 PRR K5 will run soon. - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
My 312 will not be running soon. Got my running chassis. It is not going to help much.
Pictures were not good enough for me to see a cracked whitewall and shortly after removing loco from shipping box one of the driver wheels just fell off of axle. So it is out of quartering. Will try to eyeball it. First time disappointed in item from BigGameBoy. He offered me 2 different wheels. Kinda done with him. This 312 might be jinxed. So I got a good motor and some wheels and a frame out of purchase. Not a total loss but not what I expected.
Sorry that it wasn't as expected. I've gotten some discrete parts from him for my 312. But, only individual parts, never anything complex. I'm certain you can get it running. My 312 rebuild ended up costing me more than it is worth, but I had fun doing it! I look at it this way, if it cost me $100 to fix/build a $70 locomotive, I probably had $30 worth of fun and learning along the way.
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Sorry that it wasn't as expected. I've gotten some discrete parts from him for my 312. But, only individual parts, never anything complex. I'm certain you can get it running. My 312 rebuild ended up costing me more than it is worth, but I had fun doing it! I look at it this way, if it cost me $100 to fix/build a $70 locomotive, I probably had $30 worth of fun and learning along the way.
Way back when; I lived on my sailboat and I was told relative to boats, parts and accessories, that if you had to ask how much it cost then you can't afford it! It must still be true concerning model/toy railroads. Keep on plugging along Al! In the end we do get enjoyment out of it. I like the part about $30 fun and learning.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
My 312 will not be running soon. Got my running chassis. It is not going to help much.
Pictures were not good enough for me to see a cracked whitewall and shortly after removing loco from shipping box one of the driver wheels just fell off of axle. So it is out of quartering. Will try to eyeball it. First time disappointed in item from BigGameBoy. He offered me 2 different wheels. Kinda done with him. This 312 might be jinxed. So I got a good motor and some wheels and a frame out of purchase. Not a total loss but not what I expected.
Send it out to me. If I can swing the shipping, I'll pay to send it back to you...Can't beat that right??.. I have axles, wheels, etc, all on hand....
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Appreciate the offer. I will try to piece it together first. Really don't want to spend any more on this 312. Still in it cheap but it can get away from you quick. What would life be without AF frustration. I wouldn't know.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
mopac
Station Master

I forgot to say it was a polished chassis. Yep, someone took the times to polish this chassis. I knew that. And yep, some idiot pulled the wheels to polish behind the wheels. That I did not know.
Oh, and the brain child polished all the black off of drivers. Could not see that in pics.
The wheels don't look bad. Just different. I do not think seller did it. I doubt he has time to. Seller had 3 running chassis to pick from. For sure I picked the wrong one. I had to have a square stud, so that dropped choice to 2. One had round stud. Of the 2 only one said runs well. So thats the one I bought. It just did not work out. Should have been simple. Move shell and smoke unit from old chassis to new one, service reverse unit, and run it. Never is that easy is it.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
I forgot to say it was a polished chassis. Yep, someone took the times to polish this chassis. I knew that. And yep, some idiot pulled the wheels to polish behind the wheels.
Oh, and the brain child polished all the black off of drivers. Could not see that in pics.
The wheels don't look bad. Just different. I do not think seller did it. I doubt he has time to. Seller had 3 running chassis to pick from. For sure I picked the wrong one. I had to have a square stud, so that dropped choice to 2. One had round stud. Of the 2 only one said runs well. So thats the one I bought. It just did not work out.
Well, my offer still stands.. I believe I have a chassis in my parts drawer for it...In fact I have 2 complete chassis missing the wheels...
Old 09-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
mopac
Station Master

Come up with a good price plus shipping for a chassis with wheels, LOL. Don't need
a motor or smoke unit. Has to have square stud on center drivers. Just frame and
quartered wheels. I have all the other parts.

Need the gear on rear axle. You knew that.

If your frames already have motor and smoke units on them, also give me a price.
You know I don't care if smoke unit smokes.
You may want to keep motor and smoke unit or you may have enough of them.
If you can give me a choice. LOL, just so I can make wrong choice. Used to that.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Come up with a good price plus shipping for a chassis with wheels, LOL. Don't need
a motor or smoke unit. Has to have square stud on center drivers. Just frame and
quartered wheels. I have all the other parts.

Need the gear on rear axle. You knew that.

If your frames already have motor and smoke units on them, also give me a price.
You know I don't care if smoke unit smokes.
You may want to keep motor and smoke unit or you may have enough of them.
If you can give me a choice. LOL, just so I can make wrong choice. Used to that.
Tell you what, we'll just switch out chassis, yours for mine.. I'll make sure the quartering is spot on.. I can use your chassis for any parts, also I can use the wheels. etc, that I'll use to put on the new chassis I'll be sending you...Deal?? If so, I'll work on it in the next hour or so, and have it ready for shipping tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
mopac
Station Master

Let it be known the face of my wheels were polished also. The black is gone, If you take
the wheels apart you can paint the wheels. Are we swappng motor and smoke units or just leave them on chassis. There is no rush on this. Or should I keep my motor and smoke unit. You decide. We will have to PM each other with our names and addresses. LOL, I know your first name and maybe your last name. After you ship let me know the cost and I will mail you a money order for it. This is very nice of you. You are always a big help to me. Ship the cheapest way, cause I am cheap. LOL. Thanks Guru.
Don't forget I need square stud in center wheel. Also let me know what we are doing wth female plug, motor, smoke unit. They wll wegh less if we each keep our own motor and smoke unit, but you decide.

Really, NO RUSH.

My chassis is very clean. Hell, it is polished. Bushings seem very tight, axles have no looseness, no wobble. Wheels roll great.
You will not have to clean my chassis. One of my whitewalls is cracked.

Remember I will buy your chassis. then only one shipping cost. I can buy just frame and wheels. Let me know. Either way I will
pay any shipping cost you incur.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #20
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Let it be known the face of my wheels were polished also. The black is gone, If you take
the wheels apart you can paint the wheels. Are we swappng motor and smoke units or just leave them on chassis. There is no rush on this. Or should I keep my motor and smoke unit. You decide. We will have to PM each other with our names and addresses. LOL, I know your first name and maybe your last name. After you ship let me know the cost and I will mail you a money order for it. This is very nice of you. You are always a big help to me. Ship the cheapest way, cause I am cheap. LOL. Thanks Guru.
Don't forget I need square stud in center wheel. Also let me know what we are doing wth female plug, motor, smoke unit. They wll wegh less if we each keep our own motor and smoke unit, but you decide.

Really, NO RUSH.

My chassis is very clean. Hell, it is polished. Bushings seem very tight, axles have no looseness, no wobble. Wheels roll great.
You will not have to clean my chassis. One of my whitewalls is cracked.

Remember I will buy your chassis. then only one shipping cost. I can buy just frame and wheels. Let me know. Either way I will
pay any shipping cost you incur.
Al, just send the chassis and wheels, nothing else.. I'll send you the same thing...Loren..PS this is a SIB chassis, correct????

Last edited by flyernut; 09-06-2019 at 07:18 AM..