My Favorite "Locos" This Week: My New Black Bonnett GP35 Trio - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
GRJ - Thanks for the info about the sound. I wish you could turn the sounds off. But I can get used to it, I suppose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Mine arrived yesterday . . .
What I did find interesting though is that the unpowered B unit is completely empty. It's just a shell on a frame.
Yes, and my first thought on seeing all the empty space inside when I pulled the hatch (that is over the controls on the powered units) off was, "Wow, this would a great place to hide jewels and money that no one would ever think to look in."
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Who has jewels and money to hide? I can't hide another locomotive in there, so I'm out of luck anyway.

I get quite a few "dummy" locomotives for upgrades to lights, sounds, and even smoke.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
Rocky Mountaineer
Dispatcher

Heads up on these puppies, folks. Initial experience with them in a Legacy environment is showing the engine ID of these GP-35's can't be reprogrammed. Whether the PGM/RUN switch is set to PGM or RUN, these locomotives fire up like they're ready to head out. And when you set the PGM/RUN switch to PGM and "try" to reprogram the engine ID and hit SET -- nothing happens. Normally, the horn will toot. But with these locomotives, the Railsounds is already fired up... which shouldn't be the case.

Very disappointed that Lionel still hasn't solved this problem. How many different locomotives are gonna be saddled with it, before this gets fixed once and for all?

David
Rocky Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
superwarp1
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O scale
It’s almost like the run/program switch isn’t even wired or not plugged into the board or in the wrong socket.

Gary
Long live the Boston & Albany
https://www.youtube.com/user/superwa..._as=subscriber
superwarp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

If the RS is already running in either mode, it sounds like they actually have a TMCC signal issue.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #16
Rocky Mountaineer
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
If the RS is already running in either mode, it sounds like they actually have a TMCC signal issue.
Yes, John. I thought it was odd that the Railsounds fired up as soon as I gave the track 18volts -- even though the PGM/RUN switch was set to PGM. Usually, when in PGM mode, I don't hear any Railsounds until the SET button is pressed after changing the Engine ID -- and then it's just a quick toot of the horn, not an entire ramp up of the diesel engine sounds. Very odd. But I've been told this is the same symptom displayed by earlier locomotives with the engine ID problem. So apparently here we are again!

David
Rocky Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #17
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I confess to not having my hands on any engines with the ID issue. There were some on the shelves at Henning's, but I wasn't looking for any of those, so I didn't bother testing them.

Given the fact that I know of at least three different models that had the same issue, I have to believe a code revision to the basic RCMC base code broke the ID processing. Until they catch and fix them, all of the new stuff will likely have the same problem.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #18
Lee Willis
Train Master

Ahh, Railsounds is on all the time. That explains the weird shuffling noises I don't like.

Ugh.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #19
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Well, in conventional mode, you don't have individual control of parts. Since these are brand new, you can pick up the Lionel BlueTooth phone app and it has individual control of multiple effects.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #20
Lee Willis
Train Master

I don't do no stinkin' bluetooth. We're strictly good old fashioned conventional here. Good enough in 1954, still good enough now.

I'll just live with the shuffling sound. At least its unique.

And its so disappointing that the locos weren't perfect after all, but had a flaw I just didn't pick up on.