Flex track radius - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 11-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
I would make a 24" radius cardboard template, then use it while laying the track to make sure you don't put any sharper radius kinks in the real track. Also don't forget about easements into and out of curves! and especially any vertical easements! Get the sub road bed correct, correcting the actual track later is frustrating!
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
mesenteria
Dispatcher

Make yourself a trammel out of a 40" length of lath or strapping. You drill a hole at one end for a short screw's tip to act as a centerpoint, or pivot. Then, starting at, say, 10", you drill a hole every inch outward toward the far tip big enough to hold a pencil's tip. Use a marker to label each hole for ease of reference.

This way, you won't have to carefully carve a template for curves that are 18" radius, 20" radius, 22" radius, 24' radius, and so on, about two or three hours worth and many losable templates. You just have the one trammel that you hang on a nail, always handy, via one of the several pencil holes you drilled.
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesenteria View Post
Make yourself a trammel out of a 40" length of lath or strapping. You drill a hole at one end for a short screw's tip to act as a centerpoint, or pivot. Then, starting at, say, 10", you drill a hole every inch outward toward the far tip big enough to hold a pencil's tip. Use a marker to label each hole for ease of reference.

This way, you won't have to carefully carve a template for curves that are 18" radius, 20" radius, 22" radius, 24' radius, and so on, about two or three hours worth and many losable templates. You just have the one trammel that you hang on a nail, always handy, via one of the several pencil holes you drilled.
I've done the same thing with a cheap yardstick. Just allow for a slight offset because the hole at the fixed end won't be exactly at the "zero" measurement. If you don't want to destroy the yardstick, you can purchase clip-on trammel points. One has a point, the other a clamp for a pencil.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #14
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
I've done the same thing with a cheap yardstick. Just allow for a slight offset because the hole at the fixed end won't be exactly at the "zero" measurement. If you don't want to destroy the yardstick, you can purchase clip-on trammel points. One has a point, the other a clamp for a pencil.
That's exactly what I ordered on Amazon today. 2 Trammel clamps. Thanks all for the help!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
tommy24a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #15
riogrande
Conductor

I drew my track plan on 11 x 17" graph paper old school and used a compass and scale rule.

To do it in full scale, you make a trammel out of a yard stick or similar but longer and use it to draw out radii on plywood and cut it with a jigsaw/sabre saw to install on the benchwork.

I am planning some radii as much as 42 inches, so I found a piece of wood at Home Depot that was similar to a yard stick only it's 48 inches long. That allows me to draw radii that are larger than 36".
riogrande is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riogrande View Post
I drew my track plan on 11 x 17" graph paper old school and used a compass and scale rule.

To do it in full scale, you make a trammel out of a yard stick or similar but longer and use it to draw out radii on plywood and cut it with a jigsaw/sabre saw to install on the benchwork.
Very nice! Great idea!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
tommy24a is offline   Reply With Quote