Model Train Forum banner

Lionel's 027 Torpedo locomotives- A case study.

47K views 241 replies 19 participants last post by  balidas 
#1 · (Edited)
I became intrigued with the Lionel 1688E, after reading an article posted on CTT magazine's Forum. The article was a reprint under "Timeless Classics" as one of the features of the forum. The original article was published back in 2005, authored by John A. Grams (now deceased), who highlighted an odd 1688E that didn't look like all the others. The article stated that most of the 1688/1688E locos were all pretty common, except for the one he wrote the article about. It was the very first issued 1688E, made only in 1936, that had Forward facing open windows in the cab. When you look at the multitude of 1688's, whether 1688 or 1688E, at least 98-99% don't have that feature. When the article was written, he stated that they (presumed other collectors) didn't know how many were made, or how many are still out there.

I decided to search mostly eBay, and other sites to see if I could find one. As luck would have it, I did find one, and later two more. I presently own three of these first issues from 1936. While doing my searching I started to see a whole lot of different characteristics, that made me think that they were not all common, as most would think. An interesting note about the body/shell of these locos, is that the same body was used on Lionel's 1588 wind-up, and the 1668/1668E locos.

The only reference at the beginning of my searching, consisted of Doyle's Catalog of Prewar, but very little was found showing all the different changes in the casting, that I was noticing. I then started to do some deep research, and have been doing it for at least 5 months, looking at thousands of photos, buying different bodies, and sometimes a complete loco. I later purchased Greenberg's Guide to Lionel 1901-1942, Vol. II, "0 & 00 Gauges. That book showed and noted variations, from different known collectors, who provided the entries into his Guide. The 1688/1688E listed 8 variations. The 1668/E he showed 3 variations, and only one variation for the 1588. That total of all three loco bodies came to 12. I have since found, the combination of all three locos, a total of 26 variations. The 1688/E has a total of 18 by itself.

Attached is a PDF file of what I found, with additional information pertinent to Lionel's manufacturing process. The PDF file is 4 pages long, but if you have any interest in Lionel's production of the 027 version of the Loewy Torpedo, check it out. There was one omission, from the 1588 list. The third version, did not have a roof hatch, or the Winged Keystone.

View attachment Rev. 1-Variations of the Lionel Torpedo Castings.pdf

The PDF file is repeated in Post #40, of this thread. The original PDF file that was included in this post, had errors, and I have replaced that file, with the updated version.

This is a photo of the Open Window version

Transport Vehicle Locomotive Car Scale model

See less See more
Reactions: Mr.Max
#235 ·
Lionel 1689E variation

Although this isn't considered in the "Torpedo" class, the 1689E was issued in two years only, 1936 & 1937. They differ from each other, with the 1936 version was only in Black. The 1937 version came in both Black and Gunmetal Gray. One unique feature of the early produced 1689E, was the lack of any running lights, or the holes to attach the same. The motors used were the Lionel Jr. variety with 8 spoke drivers, and the bottom plate was "Lionel Jr.". The later version, toward the end of 1936, into 1937, the running lights were now added, and the motor was replace with the "Lionel 027" tags on the motors, with 12 spoke drivers. These two variations are easily overlooked, but having owned both versions, I found it interesting to add to some of the variations that can be found while searching certain items. Below are some photos to show the comparison of the two variations.

Vehicle

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior Model car

Vehicle Car

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

#237 ·
Big Ed, It would have been a welcome website, for many people interested in Prewar Lionel, to be able to research all different aspects of Prewar. We thought it was going to last, and agreed to help build it up, to compliment the Postwar Library that has been around for quite a while. We will never know why it faded away, into oblivion.

#239 ·
For anyone interested in Lionel prewar Torpedo locos (1588, 1688, 1689, etc.), this thread from Teledoc Jerry is PACKED with invaluable historic identification information, the bulk of which was compiled by meticulous research from Doc himself.

Sadly, Jerry passed away in December. (RIP thread in Union Station.)

Though the news brings a tear to my eye, I am happy that his research and love of prewar Lionel tinplate lives on here, for the benefit of countless modelers going forward.

RIP, Jerry ... you will be remembered and missed.

TJ

#240 ·
Man! Just hearing about this. I am so sorry for his passing. It was Jerry who started me on my search for an open window torpedo loco. When after several years of finally getting one, it was Jerry who gave me so much info on what motor with what spoked wheels etc. On top of all that, he sent me the correct tender for this loco. I have yet to do the restore having so much else going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.