Model Train Forum banner

Marx Tinplate steamer

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Millstonemike 
#1 ·
A Marx Tinplate steamer & freight cars running the S&Y RR. The little steamer is battery powered. Zips right along.

Bill

Scale model Transport Train Vehicle Railway

Transport Vehicle Train Scale model Rolling stock

Transport Train Vehicle Scale model Railway

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks great.

I have the hopper cars. It's real easy to cut Styrofoam to fit to support a dummy load.

The first pic shows the Styrofoam supporting "mini" presents on my Marx Christmas train.

The second pic is my "tinplate" coal technique. I used a tube of silver glitter flakes from the dollar store and black satin paint. Spray a coat of paint and immediately sprinkle on glitter and it will stick. Repeat four or five times to build up depth and finish with a coat of paint. Takes all of 10 minutes and then let dry over night.

Christmas decoration Santa claus Interior design Christmas ornament Vehicle

Transport Train Scale model Vehicle Rolling stock

#10 ·
The lettering on the tender is vinyl stick-on from eBay ($1.75 shipped). It's Arial bold, italic @ 24 pt in the silver vinyl (see pic below). I modeled the lettering in MS-Powerpoint (or MS_Word, I forget) and msg.'d the vendor to insure he could produce the specific font.

The lettering comes in one sheet. You peel one of two paper sides to expose the adhesive on vinyl letters. Place it on a surface and then peel the other paper side. That keeps the the letter registration intact during the application - no artistry needed (other than overall placement and leveling).

For this application, I think it's better than a decal with it's clear backing that remains on the piece as there isn't a clear coat.

The "Chrome stripes are auto pinstripes (and look better -more uniform- in person than on the camera).

Text Font Product Web page Line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.