Model Train Forum banner

751 Log Loader AF 1949

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  T-Man 
#1 ·
I started another project. The log loader is tinplate, old and in need of some TLC. I started with the base plate and rubbing compound,

Yellow Orange Wood Floor Hood

Table Furniture

Grass Scale model Vehicle

Text Yellow Font Signage Sign

Beehive Apiary Bee Insect Honeybee

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice work (and pics).

Looks like a two-pole, single-phase AC induction motor. Starting torque is poor. So the motor, gearbox and log drive needs to be smooth. Once it's running at speed it'll haul all the logs you got - torque increases with motor speed.

I'm jealous.

#7 ·
The gear is set low to drive a large wheel. That is the only main piece I am missing.

The wheel activates a switch I am not sure what for. The carriage catches the log that is pushed up with a coil and then dropped by pressure with a release.

#10 ·
The typical T-Man restoration, to resurrect some old Tin. Is this another Local Hobby Shop find, that needed a new home?? Always fun to follow along with how-to, and photos. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sad to say my LHS is closing due to retirement. Last day is tomorrow and then packing up for the next few weeks. The Loader was occupying dust and the best of the two was sold leaving it an orphan.

The roof and windows look interesting I will have to add them to the list,

They are listed at Portlines. Doug has them

#11 ·
Note the 751 T-Man repaired has a yellow base, Millstonemike posted a picture of one with a black base and a nice OB. The majority of the 751's and all 751A's had black bases. Early 751 production had yellow. The yellow is not rare but it is nice to see one rebuilt and left as original. Do need to add the correct roof.

#13 ·
Update, I got the wheel on and tensioned the rope. I had clearance problems with the hook when the cart reached the end. With a little wire extension I got the clearance needed. Then I adjusted the switch, It was too close to the wheel and would actually brake it.

Then I set up the electrical. The black wire runs up to the motor. I connected one wire from the lift coil to the same connection. The wire out of the motor was connected to the red wire. The second coil wire was connected to the red wire.

To operate, Black( center rail) terminal, yellow outer rail terminal( common) When green touches yellow the coil operates. When red touches yellow, the switch is bypassed and the motor starts and runs until the wheel makes a rotation and opens the switch to stop.

#19 ·
Slow progress

I attached the bottom piece and after I readjusted the cable again. All the bench testing worked.

One comment on the log lifter is that the piece must be sitting on the flat surface. The unit can drop further than the frame but it is in position for the log when the whole assembly is in place.

All cleaned up, the cable adjusted and the coil mechanism to lift the log.

The roof is unfinished. I have some wood blocks inside to hold it in place.
I am working on an idea to complete it. Eventually I may track down an original but the pricing is out of wack for a non working part.

Scale model House Toy Architecture Playset

Spoke Rim Wheel Metal

Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.