Model Train Forum banner

please explain car 3459

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  T-Man 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to figure out how this coal dump car operates and match it to correct operating track piece. We are building layout with anything we can find
This car is missing one sliding shoe on one truck. And we have some operating tracks with five long rails, some tracks with the electro magnet and two short extra rails. Controller with 4 wires, UNCOUPLE and UNLOAD buttons.
I've looked on line for schematics. Is there any good reference material out there?

#2 ·
If you're missing the sliding shoe, then you're going to need to replace it as both are necessary for operating. That car should have couplers that can be activated with the electromagnet uncoupling section, but the operating track is needed for dumping the car. You'd need the operating track and the four wire double button controllers to operate that car.

Here's a link to some drawings. They've only got diagrams for the 3469 car, but I believe they're more or less the same.

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=524

I have two books that I acquired last year and wish I would have much sooner as they've been very helpful in working on my various postwar items. The first is the Greenberg Lionel Service Manual, the second was a similar one put out by K-Line way back when. Both books have similar content, but I've found things in each that the other doesn't have so they're both handy to have around. They have maintenance diagrams as well as operating instructions for most items.

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.