Model Train Forum banner

Tinplate Wheel Spacing Help

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Millstonemike 
#1 ·
I acquired a Lionel 248 electric with, what appears to be, a Lionel 253 double reduction "Super Motor". It has new roller, wheels and gears. After a clean and lube the engine runs very smooth on the bench.

The loco would run sporadically on straights and stop on 0-27 curves. I traced the problem to the wheels being to close together. I spread them a bit and it runs fine. But the gears barley mesh when the wheels move out on that side.

I'm thinking a nylon washer as a shim on the non-geared side between the wheel and the axle bearing. I'd cut a slit in the washer to pop it on the axle. But it may be tricky getting it in there as space is very tight. And I do not want to remove the wheels.

Any ideas?

#8 ·
Well the bread ties idea came from my better half , who read it online. The original use was tying electrical wires together. I collected a few. I do not believe I have used it as a wheel spacer.
So I can admit I am familiar with them but I may have suggested it. The search engine didn't help.

For wheel pressing I keep everything tight. I cannot recall ever needing more space. Maybe it was for an AF motor.

#9 ·
For wheel pressing I keep everything tight. I cannot recall ever needing more space. Maybe it was for an AF motor.
This was a Lionel pre-war double reduction motor. The wheels had virtually no side-to-side play (but not tight on the bearings). It ran sporadically on the track, stalling, no high speed operation, lurching, etc. Spreading the wheels a bit completely solved the problem resulting in consistent full speed and reliable low speed operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.