Model Train Forum banner

tinplate auction

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  tjcruiser 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've never bought / bid from Live Auctioneers, but, d*mn ... they always sure do have nice-condition stuff in their auctions. The items are usually cross-linked to eBay, too.

This is not your typical rusted / dented basement stuff. I wonder what/where their ongoing source is? Condition is everything, and L.A. certainly brings in nice stuff.

That said ...

Has anyone here bid / bought from Live before??? Feedback for the rest of us???

TJ

#4 ·
I've watched a few of their hosted auctions.
"Live Auctioneers" is apparently an online link to auction houses all over the country.

The big factor to watch is the buyers premium on top of the bid. Varies from 12% to as high as 28% among different houses. Add to that shipping charges if they are to far for pickup.

I've seen some decent deals and I've seen some out of sight stupid.

But what caught my attention on this auction was the chance for a collector to maybe get that have to have item to complete a set or the like.

Best bet if you see something you want is to put your max bid on it up front. They don't screw around. I've seen them do 1200-1500 items in couple hours. It's wham/bam next item!!

#5 ·
TJ,
I barely use Ebay anymore in favor of Live Auctioneers. They will send you notices of auctions coming up from houses you have used before. You can add searches for certain pieces you are looking for and they email you when one comes up. You can bid on line if you have a rainy day.
Randy made a lot of good points on what to watch out for. I often ask questions on this forum if I see something odd or I don't understand. I recommend them highly.

#7 ·
Live Oddball

TJ,
Here's an example of an odd one in Live (MJ Stasak Jr. Auction). Transport Vehicle Mode of transport Commercial vehicle Scale model
It is a 3459 Operating Coal Dump car, black bin, that someone customized. I am just finishing the book on Roebling's greatest feat, the Brooklyn Bridge. I am going to try to buy it as a curiosity.
Hope you don't mind me putting it in under tinplate. After all they were only made '46-'48 and the bin is metal. The frame is die-cast metal along with the couplers and trucks.
Wish me luck.:confused:

#9 ·
TJ,
I got the Roebling car but it was painful. Must have been bidding against another Roebling fan. The good news is I also picked up a Flying Yankee in excellent shape with an extra car and a 616W for $125.
Also realized that "Invaluable" is a separate collective like "Live". They also have great items. Enjoy
Beach

#11 ·
Ironic that the original ROEBLING Plant is roughly 2 miles from my house. 95% of the buildings are still standing, and have been retrofitted to more modern day use. There are office spaces, living spaces, & a Market that has been quite successful. There are also, some older ROEBLING resident properties, in downtown Trenton. Other ROEBLING building are located in, none other than Roebling, N.J.. A lot of history, locally.:smilie_daumenpos:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.