Model Train Forum banner

It's Gettin' There

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  rkenney 
#1 ·
#2 ·
“Orange” you a busy little beaver lately!!!
:smilie_daumenpos::smilie_daumenpos::appl::appl:

It’s looking really good so far, and will be nice addition to your collection. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

#4 ·
What are you hiding? :p

Give us a picture that we can see without a magnifying glass.
Why so small?

What I see looks good, what color is that?

#7 ·
Well.........there are many different shades of orange.:rolleyes:
Yours look more like a peach color, though I do like the shade.
I was guessing a rattle can?
Most cans do have a color name on them.

OK, Orange it is. almost a salmon color?
Thanks for taking the time to answer. :cool:

Ps, the larger picture is much better.:smokin:

#9 ·
Latest photos

Here is the current state of my 10 Standard Gauge Loco:

Transport Vehicle Rolling stock Train Railroad car

Not an entirely authentic paint job, but a considerable improvement over the way I received it. I can certainly appreciate the benefit an air brush would bring to this endeavor.

Transport Scale model Vehicle Rolling stock Train

The green and orange is in honor of my maternal Grandfather who painted all his tool handles in those two colors as well as some childrens' furniture he built for his kids. The story my mother would tell was that the orange represented Grandpa who was German, and the green my Grandmother who was Irish.

The truth is that the orange represented Protestants (the Orangemen) as Grandpa was Lutheran (the color orange has no historical connection to Germany that I can find) and the Green Catholics (Grandma).

This Grandfather built all my Standard Gauge buildings and set up a Standard Gauge Christmas Garden every year (before I was born).

#10 ·
The critical observer will notice in this and my previous photos that I still need a few parts.

Couplers, although I presently have nothing to couple; a pantograph (I have the original but it is heavily rusted); and a pair of headlights.

In the headlight department the shell came with two strap headlights and appears to have holes for these. All of the 10s I've seen on line have the cast headlights so if someone knows what the story is about these different headlight types I'd love to know.

Cylinder

#11 ·
Bob, The correct answer is that all original #10’s came with Cast Headlights, never strap type, that were painted Gold, at the factory. The pantograph were typically brass pantograph, but one version in “Peacock” colors had nickel pantograph. They all came with CP-8 Latch couplers, using 252-22 Coupler rivets, for mounting same. There is also a brass whistle #253-1 mounted on opposite end from the pantograph. Any question for info or parts just ask. I have Olsen’s Prewar Library on CD, for parts, and all the major Prewar Guide books in my inventory. It’s Tjcruiser’s fault, for sucking me into Prewar Tinplate, so I had to stock up on needed documentation for my own research. Just ask away, and I can usually get anyone’s answer.

#12 ·
The Olsen page I have shows both a cast and a strap headlight.

Text Transport Rolling stock Line art Electrical supply

There are certainly a lot of punched holes for the headlights:

Cylinder

And to add to the confusion is this light power bar that came with the frame and motor:

Tile Floor Wall Flooring Table

Electronics Technology Electronic device Metal

I don't intend to use the lighting "track" for power, but it would be nice to know how it was supposed to hook up.

#13 ·
The cast headlight will have one wire. That wire connects to the center roller collector. The headlight's other connection is to chassis ground via the body. So you need to scrape away some paint to insure you have a good ground connection. You'll see these when you have the part. Train Tender (www.ttender.com) will have these parts. Look in the link "Lionel Alpha Prewar" and search on NH-11.

#14 ·
Bob, Olsen’s is good to see the part numbers, & it showing both types. All the paperwork indicates that the cast headlight was the proper issue. It comes down to how correct you want the finished product to appear. If you like the other type, because of appearance, then roll with it. With the power bar you show, I have never seen it, nor have I seen any documentation. Very interesting item. So far, on your project #10, it’s looking great, compared to its arrival. Will wait to see it totally completed.:smilie_daumenpos::smilie_daumenpos:

#15 ·
The cast headlights work fine for me, I just want to make sure they cover all those holes! I know the hole in the back is where the wire came through and the slot next to that is where the fiberboard insulator went.

I seem to recall a headlight on prewar that had a switch (sliding contact) on it as well, but that might have been O gauge.

Mike,
I have no problem wiring the lights, I just wondered how that light track worked. There must have been some sort of arrangement on the light that contacted that 'track' when assembled.

#16 ·
Ummm . . . what is that supposed to be a model of? Maybe a Milwaukee Road EP-2 "bipolar"? I noticed the word "Olympian" on that parts sheet - the EP-2's hauled the "Hiawatha Olympian" from Othello to Tacoma. :confused:

#18 ·
Looking good , if it was mine I would have did the roof the with same green.
Did that thought cross your mind?

Now, you have to get at least a loop of track to see it run. :smilie_daumenpos:

#19 ·
Looking good , if it was mine I would have did the roof the with same green.
Did that thought cross your mind?
Yea the thought did cross my mind, and then I thought maybe just a green roof edge. All of Grandpas' color schemes were predominately green. I think its fine the way it is.

Now, you have to get at least a loop of track to see it run. :smilie_daumenpos:
That's on the list!

#20 ·
I thought that too, if not the whole top just the edge as it would match the bottom green.
Does the top just slide off of the cab?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.