Model Train Forum banner

question for teledoc

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tjcruiser 
#1 ·
Jerry, or anybody else, I wonder if you have any info on this tan colored 1682 caboose. I can't seem to find anything on it. Photos or info.

Transport Vehicle Rolling stock Railroad car Mode of transport

See less See more
#3 ·
Cole, You most likely won’t agree or like my answer, but there never was a Tan 1682. The listed colors were Vermillion (holdover from Ives), Light Red, & Tuscan. What you are looking at, is what WAS a light red, body, that has been “Sun Bleached”, over time. I know you will probably disagree, because the cupola still shows signs of red. If you look closely, there is evidence of the Sun Bleaching, and there is a hint of tan showing through. One thing to note is the lack of journals, on the trucks. This would make this caboose a 1682X, but only the box would show the “X”, and not on the car itself. Another difference, to get the “X” designation (box only), would be couplers on both ends. Dual couplers and no journals give you a 1682X, compared to the normal issues.

#5 ·
Cole, ... I know you will probably disagree, because the cupola still shows signs of red. If you look closely, there is evidence of the Sun Bleaching, and there is a hint of tan showing through.
The cuploa could have painted with different bach of paint.

But I question the sun bleaching. Was it left in the view of an attic window for ages? If so, the side we don't see might look very different. I just can't imagine a situation where the entire main body would be sun bleached. Though it sure looks like that.

Now if your experience says just a bright, sun lit room can do that all around the car, I'd defer to that.

You know ... inquiring minds :)

#4 ·
Thanks Mike and Jerry. Appreciate the info.

Jerry, I'm not "not liking" or disagreeing with your answer at all.

Remember it was me with the question, asking you for the answer. :D
It was just that I seen this light 1682 like none I had ever seen and had to ask.

Figured you to be the man to ask. :cool:

#6 ·
I thought sun bleach, too, at first. But if that's the case, I would think that one side of the caboose would be more faded than the other. Is that the case, or is the 'beige' color consistent throughout? If so, perhaps we're looking at something other than sun bleaching.

Hmmm ...

TJ

#8 ·

Well I just went to look at it. No need to bend any tabs, as uniform as the fade is, it is fade. Under the frame and also under the roof line it shows teletale sign of red.:mad:

I bought it as part of an online auction. I was mainly buying a 262E set but thought maybe the boose might be one of those oddballs that snuck thru Lionel way back when. I figured Doc must have seen this before, he was quick with a reply.

Scale model Transport Train Vehicle Rolling stock

Scale model Vehicle Transport Locomotive Train

Transport Train Vehicle Scale model Locomotive

Transport Rolling stock Vehicle Scale model Train

Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

Funny thing is, on the cupola there are scratches in the red that are tan.

Attachments

#9 ·
Even though sun bleaching to that consistency seem like a very huge stretch, if you look under the overhang on the photos of the end of the car, you CAN see a touch of red. Also the tabs on the bottom are red.
How the sun bleaching got that uniform is way beyond my imagination. It would of had to have been in open space exposed to the sun for years, and rotated periodically to evenly expose all surfaces, YET NO RUST.
If you find out where it was stored, I'd stay out of there.

Dan

#10 ·
Cole, I did see another 1682 that had the same effect, that wasn't as complete, like the one you have. It was quite a while ago, when I saw the sun bleaching on a 1682, which was for sale on eBay, as part of a lot. I agree with Panther's comment, that it is odd, that almost all of the main body is affected, and only slightly on the cupola. It had to be sitting in an area, that would have direct sun light hitting it.

#11 ·
Looking at the inside of the shell won't help explain the color change. The inside received a gray wash coat before the exterior was printed. Print coverage on the inside of cars produced at this time frame would have been the result of a misprint.
Lionel printed shells in one print run, cupolas in another, roofs in another, etc. That being the case, the cupola and shell were printed at different times or on different printing presses, perhaps with the same batch of "ink" or perhaps with ones containing essentially the same ingredients.
I suspect that there were more than a few cars that have exhibited this color change and would not be surprised that some non standard ingredient in the "ink" formulation for the print runs at the time the car was manufactured was responsible for the color change over time.

swede

#12 ·
I think Swede's comment above hit the nail on the head. There must have been something odd in the ink mix of this particular litho print batch. That would explain the uniform fade on the main body shell, but no fade on the cupola. There's likely a mate or two out there somewhere.

Regardless, a very interesting find. Quite unique!!!

TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.