Model Train Forum banner

Newbie Questions: Transformer - Whistle Tender - Gear Drivers

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  SoShoresGuy 
#1 ·
I have restored 259 and 259E sets for my daughter and son. I also gave them both an ancient fire hazard transformer to them (pre war transformers).

Q1) With the train sets, I gave them a simple oval (one FasTrack and the other tubular track). I would like to upgrade them to a more modern transformer this holiday season. Would an 80 Watt transformer work?
Product Technology Electronic device Power supply Electronics accessory

Or should I go to a 110 Watt transformer?
Technology Electronic device

I would like something that has a built-in circuit breaker or alarm since some of my grandchildren are still young and adventurous.

Q2) The 259 series trains have the 600s series passenger cars and the standard tender. What would be a good pre war whistle tender be for this situation? I would probably end up with painting them with a gloss black to match the 259 engines. Right now, I am looking at the 1689T as being a viable candidate. The young ones really like the whistle.
Suggestions?

Q3) The 259E that I gave to my daughter has the zinc pest on one of the geared wheels (It was my Mom's set and I am in my 70s). I ordered another driver wheel (red spoke) gear wheel. What is the best way to remove and replace the gear? I have an idea, but usually it is the wrong one.

Sorry if I bored you folks with noobie questions. Anyway, Thanks folks - Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are looking for a whistle tender, the 259E came with a 1689W not the 1689T. The “W” indicates a whistle. My choice of a more reliable transformer would be the Lionel KW, which controls 2 trains, with internal circuit breaker. If the geared wheel suffers from zinc pest, the gear is part of the wheel. Some will use two flat blade screwdrivers wedged from opposite sides of the wheel, and pry the wheel off the axle. Reinstalling is done with either a vise, or large C clamp.

#7 ·
Thanks John. I respect any recommendations that you provide. I emailed Kent on my requirements and asked for what he would recommend. A KW is probably too much for their needs, so I'm looking for something more simpler. They don't have any accessories and no need for two different power sources. I'll wait until I hear from Kent. Thanks.

#10 ·
Although it is my personal opinion, the CW-80 is not the greatest, as far as reputation. It doesn’t put out a pure sine wave, and the early ones had too many problems. There is nothing that is user accessible with the CW-80 either. You can add extra Lock-ons at the far side of your loop. The more feeders, the better, if you have sections, where the locos slow down. Just a little more to add to your learning curve.

#11 ·
I have to ask about the 600. Series cars as to the type of couplers. Some have hook style, while other later ones have Latch couplers. Be aware of the type that a 1689W whistle tender has, so they match the 600 series cars have. Depending en the 1689 tender t might have Latch, or Box couplers. Just check to see what is ring sold. The transformer that seems the best fit, for your application would be the RW, which they are both familiar with.

#12 ·
This style of the 600s. I guess it is called a latch coupler. This is one that I restored a couple of years ago. I also put some lights in them with fogged windows.
Land vehicle Transport Scale model Vehicle Mode of transport

The RW that I have works great with a 238E and whistle tender. Kent said that he had one. It shouldn't be a problem with the 259s.

#16 ·
Mark, I am attaching a link to Olsen's Toy Train Parts "Library" sections, that is a section explaining everything you should need, to get your whistles working. Make sure to Bookmark it, for future reference. There is a wealth of knowledge, in their Library, which covers both Postwar and Prewar Lionel. You can check out other sections later. Here is the link you need:

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=1065

This should help you getting things fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.