Model Train Forum banner

Tinplate Buildings

5K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  beachhead2 
#1 ·
I have a few on the S&Y layout. Not really into tinplate buildings but the few I have kind of blended in with the other stuff.

First up is the Lionel Factory.

Bill

Vehicle Concrete mixer Transport Mode of transport Hot air balloon

See less See more
#6 ·
Just picked up this American Flyer station off eBay for $10.77 (including shipping and tax) - still in transit to me. These are the seller's pics.

The lithograph walls are in fairly good condition. The roof and base will get sand blasted and new paint. I'll add some benches, people and LED lighting under the eaves ...

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

#8 ·
The thing I like most about tinplate buildings, you can easily replicate the design onto a TIFF, or JPG files, Print them to cardstock or paper, the cut out 1/8" cardboard walls and roof, then glue the paper printed walls to the cardboard walls. once the glue has all dried you can coat the buildings with semi gloss lacquer. they look EXACTLY like the originals. It is also a very easy way to design your own buildings.

Here is the front wall of a train station I did. Very easy, and you can save the designs and place windows etc. onto designs of your own.
I also added a blank brick wall. Add your own whatever.

Dan

Attachments

#17 ·
I have also made large decals of Marx building art. For example the Roof to the Glendale Depot. Once I get the tin roof stripped and smooth, I apply the decal and the roof appears as new.
It takes about 1/2 sheet of decal paper, but they don't make these roofs anymore.

I went through several PROTOTYPES of this design until I was happy with the PRODUCTION VERSION.:cheeky4:

Dan

Attachments

#22 ·
I love old tinplate buildings! Out of curiosity, do y'all like American Flyer tinplate or Marx or Lionel?
I go for new and shiny. Therefore I own many Lionel/MTH reproductions. However, I picked up an old litho Flyer station for $15 at a train show and I really like it. I don't own any Marx yet but after Bill posted that freight terminal, I'm looking for one.

All things being equal regarding condition, I really like the Flyer buildings for the litho. But Lionel had more products and bigger stuff like the 840 Power Station and terraces for the passenger stations. The size of those makes an impact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.