Model Train Forum banner

It's Alive!

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  rkenney 
#1 ·
Well it's been awhile. I had amazing problems with my wheels. After grinding the axle shoulder off the inside of the non-geared wheels and tinkering with spacing I have finally achieved a runable wheel set. I do believe that I will have to buy some new wheels, however, as they seem to have gotten 'fatter' than they should be. Oh well I still need headlights and couplers anyway.

Here's the first run:

#2 ·
It's so pretty, Dr. Frankenstein would be jealous.

Does that have a double reduction motor? And it has an E-unit? It may not be the original motor for the #10 (not sure).

ttender.com has new wheels for that (both the wit and w/o the gear boss). $11.00 each plus shipping. Part numbers SM-72 (plain wheel) and SM-75 (with gear boss). Among other parts (headlight, whistle, etc.) listed under Lionel Pre-war alpha parts.

Line art Text Electrical supply Diagram Illustration

#3 ·
Thanks, good to know about the wheels. It is a common problem for std gauge, and the complaint has always been that you need to buy MEW wheels as sets of four ($44).

If you look at some of my earlier std posts you will see the body is a 1926 10 (strap headlights-no reverse unit). The motor and frame I acquired separately is a 30s build-a-loco motor with a pendulum reverse (forward and reverse only). It works great after much trial and error.

#4 ·
Thanks, good to know about the wheels. It is a common problem for std gauge, and the complaint has always been that you need to buy MEW wheels as sets of four ($44).

If you look at some of my earlier std posts you will see the body is a 1926 10 (strap headlights-no reverse unit). The motor and frame I acquired separately is a 30s build-a-loco motor with a pendulum reverse (forward and reverse only). It works great after much trial and error.

#5 ·
Ah, was it you that posted on the pendulum repair - eventually bending an element just a touch to getting it working reliably? If so, I didn't realize it was standard gauge when reading that thread. I've never been to the standard gauge forum. Was it posted in the Tinplate forum?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.