Model Train Forum banner

Show off your tinplate! Anything goes

53K views 348 replies 47 participants last post by  Dieseler 
#1 ·
Ok I'll start this off. Post anything tinplate. Buildings , trains, etc. Ed, even your cans:) here is a wind up toy a got a while back. It's missing the key, anyone know where to get one or a picture of one so I can reproduce it? Also the top on one side is missing. The lithos are good and it works great. Was a good buy at something like 15$ shipped. Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Circuit component

Games Table Furniture Vehicle Toy

See less See more
#31 ·
sjm9911, I posted that well over a year ago, soon after my stuff was returned to me from my cousin. Got my stuff back, plus 4 more boxes of extra stuff, which included this Hoge Shovelnose. I had never seen one, or even knew of "HOGE mfg.", so I had to do a lot of searching to find what I could about the set. The parts of the set were scattered through 4-5 different boxes, and soon found that I had a COMPLETE SET, five rail track, original Hoge Lock-on, Hoge 950 transformer, which only belongs to this particular loco, (track power, horn button, buzzer button). The other Hoge trains only provided track power (rheostat control).

#34 ·
Nice videos, I never say the sparker in action, so very cool. Also nice closeup on the insides of that whistle, never saw one up close before. Thats what I like about some of the older stuff. They were so simplistic but the technology of the time when they were made was so advanced. Still really cool stuff even by todays standards. Thanks for posting!

#37 ·
Cool , never knew marx made a watchman. Couple of questions, does the Marx transformer have an constant volt accessory output? Just trying to give you some ideas. You can directly power the accessories from that, or another transformer. Just hook the ground ( outside rail) up to make it work. You could also try insulated track sections, easy to make and work better then the pressure plate. But that probably will not solve the power issue. Oil up te moving parts and clean out the mechanical systems, sometimes that will allow it to use less power. Let us know what you plan to do:) I might have a marx transformer or 3 laying about. Dont know the shipping to Minnesota.......

#38 ·
Thanks, I removed the Lionel watchman as it doesn`t fit in with the Marx stuff anyways.
I`m running acc. power too the pressure switch now on the Marx shanty and I think that will work out ok.
I like the track clip way but unless ya run the transformer at least half open there isn`t enough power and yepper we oiled everything up good.
I have a couple more transformers but thanks for the offer, we`ll see how it goes from here. :)

#39 ·
OK, if you add more stuff and need to add more power , just remember you can power them directly from the second transformer as long as the transformers are phased, then the ground can activate the accessories. I got lots of Lionel, American flyer and some Marx stuff on my layout, if they all were powered from one transformer the train wouldn't run:) good luck, have fun, and cool stuff!

#40 ·
Here is one of my "Tinplate Saves" recently. Got this 258, to originally steal the motor out of it, to put into a 1688E, and wound up not doing it. I decided to restore the 258, and got another motor later, for the 1688E. This is just one of two 258's that got restored, with matching 1689W tenders. Painted on Black, and the other Gunmetal.
First photo as it arrived, others are the after:

Vehicle Car

Product Gun Firearm

Auto part Automotive window part

#42 ·
That`s really neat teledoc, I haven`t seen that model before.
You sure did a great job restoring it, thanks for sharing. :cool:

I`m going to experiment with hooking up the Marx watchman shanty to a rail clip again, I`m thinking if the clip wire goes to one terminal on the shanty then run a wire from the ACC terminal on the transformer to the other outside rail then to the other terminal on the shanty.
Must be a way to get full power to the shanty using a clip.

#43 ·
Just run the power wire directly to the shanty, the other wire to the rail clip ( ground). That will give you full power. When the wheels of the train hit the clip, they will complete the ground for the circuit. Wheels need to be clean. I use alcohol and a scotchbrite pad. Also good for cleaning track.

#44 ·
Thanks, I wired it up that way and if I roll a car over the clip it works perfect but if I run the train it doesn`t work. Unless I run the train wide open then it works, I have the wire on the ACC side and tried both terminals.

I`m going back to the pressure switch as its more reliable.

#47 ·
The other 258 & 1689W

Here are some more photos of the two 258 locos, and the 1689W tenders that got restored. Both the locos and tenders all needed work to restore them. I'm happy with the results. The earlier post showed how I got the one 258, the second one had a serious bend in the cab roof, and other issues. The tenders were pretty rusty and pitted, and overall dirty.

Transport Product Vehicle Auto part Locomotive

Auto part

Technology Auto part Electronic device

#48 ·
Some more tinplate waiting for restorations

Here is the stable of 1681/1681E locos that are waiting to be stripped, painted, and trim parts, which need to ordered. Two were basically nothing more than the shells, but I have enough motors to install in them. Just need to get the time to finish re-assemble motors, and do the body work on all three. The one all Red was a donor from TJcruiser, just to push me over the edge and get into Tinplate/Prewar. I also have two 1661T tenders to mate with these, and just need to find one more, for three complete loco/tenders.

Technology Electronic device Electronic component Electrical connector

Vehicle Transport Product Train Locomotive

Red

Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Product Trailer

#50 ·
Nice stuff doc, post the reassemble pics. Good job on the railings.
Pitchy, I never realised how much stuff marx made. Never knew they made a becon tower. Btw, nice job getting it spinning. It works better then mine, never did get it to work well. I'll try some extream bending next. It beats me buying an aquarium pump and a tube to improve air flow.

#51 ·
Here`s what I did, I held it up to a light looking through it from the bottom side then bent the blades until they were all the same with about a 1/32 amount of light between the wide edge of the blade and the housing.
Man o man I hope that made sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.