TT question - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Other Scales
Forgotten your password?

Other Scales TT, T, HOn3, Narrow Gauge

Old 09-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
TT question

At the NMRA national train show in Portland OR., I saw a really innovative display. The man had built a TT scale switching layout in a guitar case. He had true remote controlled couplers on some of his locos and cars. He had mounted a tiny servo dead center in the floor of a boxcar. This servo operated one of two levers going to the couplers at each end of the car.
The levers would open the knuckle of a Kadee coupler on the command of a function output from a DCC decoder. On the Loco, he had used a tiny motor originally designed to act as the vibrate device in a pager.
After all that explanation, here are my questions. If the man who made the guitar case layout is on this forum, please answer. If anyone else knows the answers feel free to jump in. Thanks.

1) How did you remove the weight from the pager motor's shaft? I managed to cut one off with a Dremel tool, but it was a difficult job.

2) What brand, size, model#, Etc. servo would you recommend? I work in N scale so the smaller the better.

3) Do the servos require any programming, or additional electronics, beyond setting up the function key on the DCC system?

Hope to hear back from you;

Traction Fan
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
Question

I kind of doubt the guitar man is here but you never know.
I don't know but was wondering on why you didn't enquire about these things when you saw him at the show?
Not too many TT members here.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
Prewar Pappy
Conductor

Scales Modeled: Prewar Lionel
Don't I Wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ed View Post
Not too many TT members here.
There may be a few who would disagree with me. TT Scale is strictly for the purists.

The only one who benefited from my TT collection was my ex-wife. She sold my entire collection while I was deployed. I knew something was up when I returned. I had a note in Flight Operations telling me to report to my Wing Commander after debriefing. The silly woman had put my clothes in storage and left the key with him. I guess she wanted a divorce.

Fartis Ancientus
My Two-Cents, No Change Required
Prewar Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Cycleops
Station Master

There is little commercial support for TT these days although Tillig make track and stock. Any US stuff would be very old if you could find it. Are you saying you would like to attempt this in N? There are some very tiny linear servos available now. You would need a function decoder to operate them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.1 KB, 26 views)
Cycleops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
dwyaneward
Hobo

Scales Modeled: TT and N
Quote:
Originally Posted by traction fan View Post
After all that explanation, here are my questions. If the man who made the guitar case layout is on this forum, please answer. If anyone else knows the answers feel free to jump in. Thanks.
You can find him over on the TTnut forum. here link to his guitar case layout

http://www.ttnut.com/the-guittar-case-t2340.html
dwyaneward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Rich1853
Hobo

On TTNUT.COM buy, sell, trade forum it was posted by the owner CN-TT from Vancouver, BC that it was for sale, that was back in December, 2017. There was no indication that it was sold or put in storage.
Rich1853 is offline   Reply With Quote