Dual-gauge transition track length - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Other Scales
Forgotten your password?

Other Scales TT, T, HOn3, Narrow Gauge

Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Dual-gauge transition track length

Has anyone played around with long transition tracks, where the narrow-gauge line changes sides for the common rail? For example, on HO/HOn3 I can do a fairly standard transition in about 5 inches. But what if I wanted to stretch that out to 10 inches to make the transition more graceful on a high-speed mainline?

The only potential problem I see (when relying on guard rails rather than points to keep the narrow-gauge train on the right rails) is that gap where the standard wheels go straight through and the n3 wheels get pulled towards the centerline. Is there a way to solve this that anyone has seen, or would points pretty much be a requirement?

Are there any other caveats that I'm missing? Just trying to think this through...
Shdwdrgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

So I've been thinking about the issue, and the real problem comes from the gap between the main rail and transition track. If you are not using points and rely on a guard rail to draw the narrow gauge wheels onto the transition then there must be a gap to allow the standard gauge wheels to pass by the transition track. For HOn3 it looks like this means you need to keep the transition down to around 5" or less. So if I want to create a longer transition I need to have a live point on each end, otherwise the narrow-gauge wheels start falling into that gap. The alternative is to use solder to build up a pad through the gap area, similar to filling in a frog, so that the wheel flanges can ride on this filler. That of course relies on all of your cars having consistently-sized wheels on both narrow and standard gauge trains.
Shdwdrgn is online now   Reply With Quote