Need On30 track selection help - - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Other Scales
Forgotten your password?

Other Scales TT, T, HOn3, Narrow Gauge

Old 03-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
spacomp92653
Hobo

Scales Modeled: ON30
Need On30 track selection help -

So my new On30 layout will have On30 track either Peco or Micro Engineering, and I need help selecting code size.

In Micro I see code 70 and 83 turnouts and 70, 83, and 100 track. No code 100 turnouts.

In Peco, I see code 70, 83, and 100 track, and turnouts in code 100 with Electrofrog. No 70 nor 83 turnouts. No Insulfrog.

I WANT TO BUILD DCC READY. I'd like to NOT have to modify turnouts nor do special wiring. Do I go with Micro Engineering, and if so which code looks correct and runs Bachmann On30 and Wiseman with no issues?

Do I get all non-weathered track to match the ME turnouts then weather all using their solution so it all matches, or can I go with weathered track by ME and then weather their turnouts to match?
spacomp92653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Code 55 or 70 is about right for HO narrow gauge, but for O scale you'll want to go larger. Sorry, I'm not sure what is commonly used, but I think code 100 in O would equate to code 55 in HO?. Both Peco and ME track are going to be good quality, and if you check the ties you should see almost identical spacing between the brands, meaning that you can easily inter-mix them on a layout.

You're probably better off getting the non-weathered track. The weathering chemical that ME uses will interfere with soldering the tracks and feed wires. However if you want to go that route ME sells bottles of the solution so you can weather your track with a cotton swab after everything is in place. I don't really like the color, so I use a can of rustoleum ultra-flat brown (it's one of the camouflage paints) to cover the ties and rail equally, then use a wood block to peel the paint off the top of the rails before it dries. This makes a good base color, and I'll add some rust color to the sides of the rails afterwards. (Note this will also cover up color differences in the ties between track brands!)
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
spacomp92653
Hobo

thanks. I'm guessing the weathering solution is copper sulfate, kind of a cold blueing process and I did not realize it could interfere with soldering

Old 03-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Tom_C
Conductor

Scales Modeled: On30
Peco has insulated frog turnouts and smaller code sizes, too.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/peco...hoClzoQAvD_BwE
Tom_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
spacomp92653
Hobo

I guess I have to study NMRA standards on flange depth and Code size, or just buy a bunch of track and hope my locos and rolling stock work. I noticed a local On30 club requires members to use code 100, I'm guessing for maximum compatibility, no derailments, etc.

Tags
electrofrog , insulfrog , micro engineering , on30 , peco