My results so far - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #21
MrStucky
Brakeman

Hi Ct.
I was having power issues right from the rerailer, or the engine I was running for testing purposes was only going a short distance. I disconnected all the wiring from the terminal block, then I finally started having success until the engine stopped at the Atlas code 100 HO turnout. I decided to replace the turnout with a 9" piece of sectional track. I haven't finished making the necessary repairs, but I'll let you know of my success.
Thanks
MrStucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
"Power issues" as in "there isn't any electricity reaching the motor in my locomotive, so it stalled"?

First of all, do you have a "known good" loco? Could it be that your loco has a loose connection or dirty wheels / wipers?

Where is the rerailer with respect to your power feed? If the problem isn't in your loco, then you may either be creating shorts at your terminal strip, or connecting feeders in opposing polarity (iow, not all the ones connected to the same rail have the same polarity). This would be the most common cause of multiple feeders not improving power flow.

Try this: find a pair of test leads with alligator clips. Remove all your feeders but one pair and run your loco, starting right at the feeders. If it stalls, use the test leads to jumper power from the track segment that the train just left to the segment on which it stalled. If it starts up again, you have a connectivity issue. If not, check the track gauge at that spot and the cleanliness of both the track and the locomotive wheels and pickups.

Once you can run the loco successfully like this, having eliminated all the problems you found, then add a second set of feeders. Retest. If it doesn't run right, check your terminal strip for shorts or bad connections and check the polarity and correct until everything works right again. Add another set of feeders and repeat. Keep going like this until you have all the feeders you want or need.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #23
MrStucky
Brakeman

Hello CT.
I just figured out one of my power issues, as closer inspection of the used sd40 I bought this past summer shows a disconnected wire & perhaps poor soldering by the previous owner(s). I did have good luck this morning running a new Athearn sw1500, which ran around my layout without a hitch forward & reverse. I used a pair of wires from the terminal track to my power supply for this test. I have a retailer next to the terminal track on my layout. My locos that are giving me grief are my OO loco, my brothers HO 0-6-0 & the used Athearn sd40.

I hope my photos are good and clear for all to see,& I hope I’ve clarified things for you.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62AD650C-C697-4F3A-8381-C66DA6935543.jpg (122.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg D65EF836-EC44-44E5-B8CA-71689CE272A4.jpg (107.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg C9E7CCAA-F697-444E-B07F-2B7DA04FEED0.jpg (109.2 KB, 2 views)

Old 10-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #24
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
So you didn't have a "known good" loco to start with. That's why you should always troubleshoot one step at a time, eliminating the gross and obvious possibilities first.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #25
MrStucky
Brakeman

Hello CT.
The sw1500 engine is the best loco I have. I think I just grabbed any locomotive when I was about to test my track for perfection. My OO train runs great when I tested it using alligator clips. The sd40 purchased used also runs, just that its rough sounding going around my layout even after I oiled the gears between the wheels. I used test leads on the sd40 & it purrs like a kitten, so I think I’ll really clean it up.
Thanks