Green paint recommendation - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 10-28-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
JMedwick
Gang Labourer

Green paint recommendation

I have some existing green American Flyer paint I bought through Portlines. I am using it now to repaint part of a log loader. But the new paint doesn’t seem to be a good match for the original green. Does anyone have recommendations of other green paints that might be a closer match?
JMedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I really don't have AF accessories so no help here from me.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
I really don't have AF accessories so no help here from me.
I don't have any either.
flyernut is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Kelpieflyer
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S (the best) and some O
All I can say is that I have seen variation in FLyer paint jobs, and that the paint can fade over time as well.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
JMedwick
Gang Labourer

Yeah. After seeing it dry this morning, the paint is definitely darker. I was hoping to just repaint the part that someone else had painted over with silver. But now, a full repaint of the green seems needed.
JMedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
I have a downloaded paint chart for all kinds of paints that I got from Micro Scale Industries. It contains all kinds of paints from a bunch of companies like Model Masters, Testors, (Floquil), Tamiya, and others. The charts lists the color, manufacturer, part number, color name, paint type, and sheen level. This chart is actually titled "Floquil Color Chart Cross Reference". Of course all these are for use in with an air brush and are not spray cans.
The chart is a PDF download. The address is: https://www.microscale.com.
This paint chart has a number of green paint types listed by rail road name. It isn't necessarily an American Flyer accessories paint list but I have found 2 different green shades that have matched what I was painting.
Also in the body of this chart you will find a listing for Hornby America which becomes "Humbrol Acrylic Paints" when you click on it. There is actually a place for more than acrylic paint to choose from. There you will see an assortment of paint "splashes" showing what the paint shades they have. Handy for seeing what shade a given paint is. I have never bought from them before but thought that color chart would be handy if I ever did. Seems to me I also found I green shade at Menards in the Rustoleum brand too. Sorry I can't tell you the color name. I have that in my "secret" files where it wouldn't be lost. Translation, that file is so secret I can't remember which binder it is in.
I hope some of this information helps.

Kenny

Last edited by AFGP9; 10-29-2019 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: spelling as usual
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote