Ebay - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #21
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Yes, you have to be really care full buying off ebay. I guess 90% of my stuff has come off ebay. Been lucky, no disappointment yet. You really have to scope the photos and hope.
I tried to buy a K335 this morning. I finished 3rd and missed it by 20.00 some. Close, but no cigar. I think someone got a good deal. It looked nice in pics. Completely serviced. "seller " graded it a C7. Not sure about that but close. Trying to steal it I bid 237 something. It sold for 263 something. Looked complete. There is another one on.
Nice but not as nice as the one I did not get. I think 379.00 buy it now. It has some issues. One screw missing that holds smoke unit, all handrails on tender missing, and a biggie, had link coupler instead of knuckle. Probably not original tender to engine. The
seller did mention smoke box screw and the coupler. Did not mention the handrails. I will be skipping this one. Be care full out there.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 12:58 AM   #22
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Mopac I saw that K335 and was watching it. I didn't like the $41.00 shipping the seller had on it, 5 lbs. USPS Priority Mail from Florida to me in Ill? I can drive to Du Page for $41 and back and have money left. Had I bid on it I would have broken my rule of never buying locomotives off eBay but it did look nice so I was tempted to bid plus it looked as though the seller had done a bunch of work to it and actually knew what he was talking about.
Wouldn't that have been a twist of fate, you and I bidding against each other! The $263 selling price wasn't bad at all. I know that at Du Page that K335 would have been more but there I could have had it in my hands to examine and a test track to run it on.

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #23
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Kenny, the K335 did look nice. And it would have worked for me. The shipping cost was insane and I think it cost the seller. I am sure some buyers saw that and passed. I always add item price plus shipping for total cost. If I had got the loco for 237 plus 41 to ship for a total of 278 I am in it right. My 336 and 332AC each was around 400 plus 25 shipping. Not bargains. LOL, they were probably around 35 to 55 new. One word in sellers ad bothered me. He said nice "restored" locomotive. It didn't look like a repaint but maybe it was. His pictures were not super sharp.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #24
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Kenny, the K335 did look nice. And it would have worked for me. The shipping cost was insane and I think it cost the seller. I am sure some buyers saw that and passed. I always add item price plus shipping for total cost. If I had got the loco for 237 plus 41 to ship for a total of 278 I am in it right. My 336 and 332AC each was around 400 plus 25 shipping. Not bargains. LOL, they were probably around 35 to 55 new. One word in sellers ad bothered me. He said nice "restored" locomotive. It didn't look like a repaint but maybe it was. His pictures were not super sharp.
My K335 cost me $375 with shipping.I got my 336, with all cars that belong to the set, for $170, plus $20 bucks to ship...And I bought it right here on the forum's for sale section.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #25
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
I have always added the shipping cost to the price of everything I bought on eBay when I did a lot of buying. That has to be considered as part of the final price/value. I too noticed the word "restored" but didn't really see a good picture to back that up. I could accept the fact he did some work on the engine inerds but a better picture of the body would have been nice.
We both now have extra money toward another K335!

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #26
Severn
Engineer

the few things I've bought on eBay in terms of model train have all had issues. yet I factor that in ... I would say if you really want something as advertised go for th forum sales.
Severn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #27
flyernut
Yard Master

Well, I sent the seller ANOTHER note, telling him I want a refund, or I'll let ebay handle it. Then the worst possible negative feedback will be next.. No more trains on ebay for me....
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #28
MattR
Brakeman

I've actually had good eBay luck. Shipping damage once, but that's it. I do look at their feedback before bidding though.
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote