Layout for Z on styrofoam? - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Z Scale
Forgotten your password?

Z Scale We're tiny model trains but incredibly detailed and good performers.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
ogaugeguy
Engineer

Scales Modeled: Heavily into semiscale 0-27 with a few scale 0 and some older HO, S, N, and one G and Z scale set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
So sorry, Ron. The product I'm referring to is SHAPER SHEET.
OK thanks, Now I see. No one, hobby or crafts carries it around here. I'll have to order on the internet. Thanks Ron[/QUOTE]

If you haven't ordered it yet, I've found that the cheapest internet dealer sale price for a nine-inch wide roll is currently at Model Train Stuff (M.B. Klein).
ogaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #12
darticus
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogaugeguy View Post
OK thanks, Now I see. No one, hobby or crafts carries it around here. I'll have to order on the internet. Thanks Ron
If you haven't ordered it yet, I've found that the cheapest internet dealer sale price for a nine-inch wide roll is currently at Model Train Stuff (M.B. Klein).[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will check it out. Ron
darticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
ogaugeguy
Engineer

Scales Modeled: Heavily into semiscale 0-27 with a few scale 0 and some older HO, S, N, and one G and Z scale set.
Quote:
If you haven't ordered it yet, I've found that the cheapest internet dealer sale price for a nine-inch wide roll is currently at Model Train Stuff (M.B. Klein).
Thanks I will check it out. Ron[/QUOTE]

Btw, Ron, you'll also need to purchase the Woodland Scenics plaster that's specially formulated to use with those shaper sheets.
It'll make your shaper sheet creations nearly "rock hard".
ogaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #14
darticus
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogaugeguy View Post
Thanks I will check it out. Ron
Btw, Ron, you'll also need to purchase the Woodland Scenics plaster that's specially formulated to use with those shaper sheets.
It'll make your shaper sheet creations nearly "rock hard".[/QUOTE]

I will consider all Thanks Ron
Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #15
darticus
Brakeman

We got a good start. Small setup using 3 trains and 3 transformers. Have track layout with directions shown but need ideas for mountains or bridges. Using a figure 8 that should be covered with some mountains so it doesn't look like a figure 8. Any suggestions for mountains or whatever would be great. Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171014_6 arrows.JPG (37.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #16
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
It'll make your shaper sheet creations nearly "rock hard".
I will consider all Thanks Ron[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have covered the shaper sheets with a thin layer of Sculptamold. It works just fine, bonding to the fuzz on the back (or front,, depending on your point of view.).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #17
darticus
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
I will consider all Thanks Ron
Actually, I have covered the shaper sheets with a thin layer of Sculptamold. It works just fine, bonding to the fuzz on the back (or front,, depending on your point of view.).[/QUOTE]

Put our cork bed down painted it to be a dark surface and lost all the wires. Installed insulators to separate tracks. Need another transformer and loco eventually. At least the trains will go around the track.
We will be building mountains but any thoughts on where to make them for this. I'll have to experiment! Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171023_5.JPG (55.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by darticus; 10-24-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Old 10-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Layout planning info

Quote:
We got a good start. Small setup using 3 trains and 3 transformers. Have track layout with directions shown but need ideas for mountains or bridges. Using a figure 8 that should be covered with some mountains so it doesn't look like a figure 8. Any suggestions for mountains or whatever would be great. Thanks Ron
Ron;

Your layout is typical of many first,or second attempts at designing a model railroad. It has lots of track somewhat crammed into a small area. That's pretty common, since few of us have the space we might like. There is nothing "wrong" with this type of layout if your goal is to get the maximum amount of train action in the space you have. However, such track arraignments bear little resemblance to a real railroad's track layout. That may, or may not be something you care about; and either way is quite OK. After all, it's your railroad, to build as you wish.
All that said, you asked about ways to "disguise a figure eight; so it doesn't look like a figure eight." That's a tall order. The two ideas I can recommend would be, first, to have the bridge, where the upper track crosses over the lower one, represent one railroad companie's track crossing over the track of another railroad. (Quite common in real life.)
Second, the two tracks could both belong to the same railroad, it just had to cross over itself to gain elevation. ( A lot less common, but some examples do exist.)
The plastic pier set you have raising the track is not realistic at all. A real railroad would not build such a structure, as it would collapse under the first train to try crossing it. You might want to replace it with a hill that is higher than the track on one side, and lower than the track on the other. This would be a right-of-way cut into the side of the hill, and that has plenty of real life examples. Putting part of the figure eight in a tunnel, or behind a ridge, would also help disguise the loops of the figure eight a bit. If you do build a tunnel, make sure it can be lifted off, or has an access door on one side. You will need to be able to reach the track in the tunnel for cleaning and other maintenance.

This response is getting a bit long, so I'll refer you to the attached document, It covers the subject thoroughly, and gives the various options.

Good luck with your layout;

Traction Fan

Where do I start (revised version).pdf
Old 10-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #19
darticus
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by traction fan View Post
Ron;

Your layout is typical of many first,or second attempts at designing a model railroad. It has lots of track somewhat crammed into a small area. That's pretty common, since few of us have the space we might like. There is nothing "wrong" with this type of layout if your goal is to get the maximum amount of train action in the space you have. However, such track arraignments bear little resemblance to a real railroad's track layout. That may, or may not be something you care about; and either way is quite OK. After all, it's your railroad, to build as you wish.
All that said, you asked about ways to "disguise a figure eight; so it doesn't look like a figure eight." That's a tall order. The two ideas I can recommend would be, first, to have the bridge, where the upper track crosses over the lower one, represent one railroad companie's track crossing over the track of another railroad. (Quite common in real life.)
Second, the two tracks could both belong to the same railroad, it just had to cross over itself to gain elevation. ( A lot less common, but some examples do exist.)
The plastic pier set you have raising the track is not realistic at all. A real railroad would not build such a structure, as it would collapse under the first train to try crossing it. You might want to replace it with a hill that is higher than the track on one side, and lower than the track on the other. This would be a right-of-way cut into the side of the hill, and that has plenty of real life examples. Putting part of the figure eight in a tunnel, or behind a ridge, would also help disguise the loops of the figure eight a bit. If you do build a tunnel, make sure it can be lifted off, or has an access door on one side. You will need to be able to reach the track in the tunnel for cleaning and other maintenance.

This response is getting a bit long, so I'll refer you to the attached document, It covers the subject thoroughly, and gives the various options.

Good luck with your layout;

Traction Fan

Attachment 362089
Thanks for your suggestions.
I am just trying things. The piers are temporary as are the removable mountains I made in this pic. Just trying new things. If you have any pics of a real track set up for my size layout please let me know. It is only 21 by 45 inches. Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171028_2.JPG (59.6 KB, 14 views)