Granite Gorge & Northern - Page 76 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #751
JerryH
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
other eight

JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #752
fcwilt
Dispatcher

Hi,

Why do you have them both programmed to the same address?

That is generally not a good idea.

It is not needed for running with TC.

Frederick
fcwilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #753
JerryH
Engineer

Does TCG set up loco consists? It just seemed that if I gave both locos the same address they would run together easier as I will have them always lashed up.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #754
SantaFeJim
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O & HO
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Does TCG set up loco consists? It just seemed that if I gave both locos the same address they would run together easier as I will have them always lashed up.
I have been doing the same thing for the last 15 years on our club 3-Rail Scale layout. Lots of the other members have copied and all are please with the results.

In a club environment these are usually many visitors and the chatter can get pretty loud. A big advantage of having a single ID for all the units in a lash-up is the sounds (horn & bell) are also in sync. Makes for some picture rattling when 3-4 diesels blast in perfect harmony.

I will be getting my home HO layout is a couple of weeks and will employ the same practice.

BTW I will also be running under TCG so you guys can expect a ton of newbie questions from ME.

Jerry I love how you have E X P A N D E D the classic GG&N.

Keep those videos coming. Thanks,

Jim

SantaFeJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #755
fcwilt
Dispatcher

Quote:
When TC sees you have placed two or more locos in the same train it takes care of controlling them regardless of their DCC address.

One of the reason for profiling is so TC knows how to control each loco to keep them working together, speed wise, and not fighting one another.

It doesn't change anything in the loco decoder settings, it just knows that multiple locos are in the same train and controls them accordingly.

By using the same DCC address for both locos then TC has know way of balancing loco speed since it doesn't have profile information for each loco separately.

So give each loco it's own DCC address, profile each loco and TC will happily control any combination of locos for you.

It's the best approach to "consisting" I know of, since I don't have to mess with any decoder settings. I can run any loco with any other loco(s) anytime I wish.

Frederick
Old 11-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #756
JerryH
Engineer

I will try it that way in the future. That would be slick. The speed profiling I can do, but what do you use to compare the momentum and acceleration? Just eyeball them chasing?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #757
fcwilt
Dispatcher

Quote:
I will try it that way in the future. That would be slick. The speed profiling I can do, but what do you use to compare the momentum and acceleration? Just eyeball them chasing?
You need to setup the decoders with some basic speed related values:

Vmin: so you get a good steady low speed that doesn't stall.

I just mess with this value until I am happy.

Vmax: whatever you want the max speed for a given loco to be.

In the profiling section of TC you can profile a single one of TCs 14 or so profiling points.

The last of these is going to profile the max speed of the loco.

I just repeatedly run this single point, max speed "profile", changing Vmax until I get the speed I want.

Most decoders have Vmin and Vmax. Some also have Vmid which gives you a 3 point speed curve.

Some have a 28 point speed table which gives you, as you might expect, a 28 point speed curve.

The Acceleration and Deceleration values are going to be 0 or 1, as TC handles acceleration and deceleration.

Frederick
Old 11-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #758
JerryH
Engineer

removable yard

I can now handle the yard as a single removable panel. The turnouts all work and the blocks are powered. I still have to reassign the blocks and TO detectors in TCG. The trains run fine so i think everything is wired correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yard.JPG (880.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #759
fcwilt
Dispatcher

Hi,

Looks good.

On my layout I have a small, 5 track double end classification yard and a large 8 track single ended passenger terminal.

I run a number of different Schedules out of the passenger yard complete with announcement made using the TC add-on 4D Sound.

Frederick

Tags
(tc) , automation , traincontroller