Big things often have small beginnings. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 05-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Hudini
Hobo

Big things often have small beginnings.

Hi its me again This will be my main thread on the forum. I got my first h0 starter set at the age of 7. At the age of 8 i starterd to get into militairy scale modelling. During the time i also build h0 houses which i got under the christmas tree etc. I learned and read a lot about militairy modelling not necessary about railroad modelling. At the age of 13 with 6 years of modelling experience i decided to build a cheap layout using everything i had gotten as presents or bought till that time. It costed me about 200 euros to make the base without including the houses and trains which i had earlier. The build was mostly based on my militairy modelling skills which wasnt always good (painted the tracks to make them look old and weathered so it became a static layout ). After the build i focused more on the militairy aspect of modelling and of course school. Now at the age of 17 after moving house i finally have enough room to make a new layout this time i hope with the help of many others who mastered this hobby. The biggest reason that inspirates me is that i was given dozens of scale trains tracks and wagons from a friend of mine whos father has passed away,sadly he never started what he was planning and i was given everything for free as long as i would make good use of it and finish a small piece of his creations. My biggest fears are that i have no experience with electricity which is a big problem i suppose as the technical part of railroading is a big mystery to me, second of all my incomes are below 0 which is a bad thing in this expensive hobby. Luckily i have been militairy modelling for half of my life so some scratchbuilding experience may come in place. I hope to have the layout finished in a decade at best . I will post everything i do here on this very active forum. From what i have noticed this is a NA forum i maybe wrong I am live in Poland so there maybe some problems with this aswell but i think this is the best forum to do it on. If you have gotten this far you perhaps have noticed i write way to much,sorry for that it is a bad habbit. I think the best part would be right now to finally start planning everything and working towards the first steps of my second this time i hope, non-static layout. The space i have available is 4[m]x2[m] and the maximum height is 1[m].I have a total of 0 ideas as how i am planning the layout so maybe you could help me with this big task . I would like to reuse as many buildings as i got to spare some money. From the things i have gotten from my friend i have about 20+ locos and 100 wagons h0 scale I also received a crate full of tracks althought i dont know if they will be usable everything is really old and probably broken and looks like it has never been properly used. The only two things for now i have my mind set on is a really big scratchbuild bridge and to make everything look as realistic as possible as a militairy fan i like to heavily weather everything. This is a introduction post especially i hope for the future if i dont lose my hopes . For now many more ideas and posts to come . I need your help as i have no idea what to do, what to aim for and what goals to set so if you are willing to pls help me decide what to opt towards.Thank you for reading this long and boring post. Under this post you can find pictures of my first layout(pic 1) , an example of what i do in the militairy modelling branch (pic 2 pic 3), the available space (pic 4), the trains i was given (pic 5 ) my workspace (pic 6) and the rest of the pictures are plans of my friends father which he never completed. Thank you for reading i will post more soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout.jpg (485.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg layout 4.jpg (929.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170421_193745 (1).jpg (6.17 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg layout3 (1).jpg (2.16 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg layout2 (2).jpg (2.48 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg layout6.jpg (161.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg received_1137695919695930.jpg (167.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg received_1137695896362599.jpg (187.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg received_1137695956362593.jpg (109.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg received_1137695946362594.jpg (200.4 KB, 7 views)
Hudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
You got stuck in moderation, you are free now.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: Prewar Lionel O ... and some dusty HO
Hudini, welcome to our forum. You're most welcomed to be here, and to share your thoughts and progress of your layout development.

Your modeling skill looks excellent. As you consider what your layout might look like, there are FREE layout design software tools that you can use to sketch out ideas. One of them is SCARM ... the developer is a member here, and has been quite helpful in answering questions and adding features

https://www.scarm.info/index.php

Enjoy the journey!

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
DennyM
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Welcome Hudini. I look forward to more photos.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Nikola
Dispatcher

Hudini, you are very clearly extremely talented. I doubt that you need a computer program to help you do anything unless that is your personal style. Do what comes naturally and I wager that we will be learning a lot from you.

It is also nice that you are in Poland as many of my closest friends are from there.

A warm welcome!
Nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #6
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Welcome from another European railroad modeler.
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
Hudini
Hobo

Thank you for the kind words, as much as I like to do anything without planning with a project this big i will have to at least try to make some plans I had a go on the program you suggested before and it didnt go well in my hands, time to give it another try. Today i had my first experience with electricity making this static handmade grass-aplicator, it works but i still think planting grass by hand has a better effect :/ The program has different tracks, the problem is that i dont know which tracks i own, is there a way to find out which company they were made by?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-2111582965.jpg (631.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
89Suburban
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
Good stuff here!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
Hudini
Hobo

Small update as i have a rough time at school i am not able to do much and put out any content for you guys :/Received yet again some goodies from my friend,they have been collecting dust for a long time,the cars seem to be the first of the first faller carsystems? The buildings will be a great additon if i wanted to make a industry section on the layout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout-car1.jpg (3.38 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg layout-industry-2 (1).jpg (4.25 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg layout-industry-2 (2).jpg (2.86 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg layout-industry-3.jpg (2.87 MB, 4 views)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
DennyM
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Those are nice Hudini.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote