Big things often have small beginnings. - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Nikola
Dispatcher

Some of the cars look like Aurora HO slot cars from the 60s. I remember them well.
Nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #12
Hudini
Hobo

Small update:started to weather the two tanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout industry 4.jpg (474.2 KB, 7 views)
Hudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Welcome to forum Hudini. You have some great items to start a layout. And you have the skills for scenery. The electric part of the layout is not hard. It will come to you as you get
started. I would not worry too much about the scenery till you get the railroad running.
The hard part of a layout to me is just to get it started. Once you get started it will flow.
Get your benchwork done first. Then lay some track. Forget the scenery for now. You
want this to be a running layout so get some trains running. You will need to learn to work on those old locomotives. I am sure they need to be lubricated. I read you have
some track. Many times the brand name is on the underside of the ties. Turn track over
and check. I really suggest you use nickel silver track. Your old track is probably brass.
Brass will work, it just requires more often cleaning. Get your trains running good before adding the scenery. Oh, and have fun. Ask any questions here. Someone will help. We have very knowledgeable members here. They love to help. I guess I do long posts also.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #14
Hudini
Hobo

A little secret i kept behind my back. This small piece of scenery wil be perfect to display all my weathering processes used on all the locos and wagons i got. I was not sure if i would fulfill the task good enough to share as I am never satisfied with my work. I used two of the tanks i was given and yet another 128 trains and wagons to weather . The tanks were taken apart painted and weathered by me. I really enjoyed weathering the tanks as I am a big fan of heavy weathering. I actually kinda like the result but i feel like something is missing, maybe grafitti but i dont want to ruin my work. The electric grassaplicator is doing its job and i didnt even get shocked which is weird cause i am quite clumsy. I hope the vallejo still water will not crack yet again, i have no idea what i am doing wrong with it. As for the start of the benchwork i simply can not do it at the moment as i have no idea how everything works. I tried to make a project but I have no idea how to bring the idea in my head onto the program. So i cant really start doing benchwork till i manage to get at least a concept going, i hope maybe some of you may help me with making a project so i can use the available space in a good way instead of making one loop.If you want to know anything i have made or how it was done feel free to ask nothing to hide . The next step is to make an inventory of what i have and what i not have i suppose as for the future i first want to see in what direction i should go. I will focus on getting as much knowledge as possible as i want to make this layout good enough for me to not be dissapointed with it when it is finished. As much as i know militairy equipment and i can straight away tell what is what i have no idea if it comes to trains i simply see a train. I will try to post my locos and other stuff to simply know what eras i have and what trains. Would you be able to help me with solving the riddle of what is what? After that i will try to make them all running without completely destroying them i geuss. Again sorry for the long post i like to write a lot. Basically i have no idea what i am doing and i need your help to point me in the right directions Oh and by the way the white stuff near to the water is glue i hope it will dry up clear if not i will try to paint it somehow with a brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (2.76 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (2.75 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (93.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (95.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (111.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (113.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg g.jpeg (65.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg h.jpg (138.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg h2.jpg (3.82 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg h3.jpg (3.64 MB, 2 views)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #15
Hudini
Hobo

second post as i can not upload all the photos in one post or at least dont know how to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h4.jpg (3.83 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg i.jpg (135.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg i2.jpg (145.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg i3.jpg (99.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg i4.jpg (71.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg i5.jpg (139.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg i6.jpg (137.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg i8.jpg (150.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg i10.jpg (138.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg i12.jpg (415.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-10-2018, 02:54 AM   #16
Magic
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1950s Southern Pacific in So. California.
You do some very very nice work, those are some beautiful scenes.

To get some ideas on what to do for a layout, check out these three threads.
Some pretty good information there.
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

The more research you do the better ideas you'll get.
You like to do heavy weathering so maybe some heavy industries would work.
Perhaps a large scrap yard feeding a steel mill.
Unfortunately I don't see any gondolas in your rolling stock.

Here is a easy to use US to metric conversion site.
https://www.google.com/search?q=4cm+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Just select what measurements you have in the first box and
type in a value, you'll get the metric in the second box.

You have a good sized area to work with, should be able to get a nice layout in that area.

Some things to be aware of.
Most people can only reach about 25 to 30 inches (63 to 75 cm.) and do useful work, so don't make it too wide.

If you find away to do all this with 0 income just write a book and you'll have a lot of money.

Magic

Last edited by Magic; 06-10-2018 at 03:32 AM..
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
DennyM
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Really nice Hudini. The way you lit the last photo gives it a museum like quality.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #18
Nikola
Dispatcher

Hudini, I have always tried to achieve the amazing realism of an abandoned siding like you have. How did you achieve the weathering (rust through) in the gas tanks and rr cars? Please, if anyone ever produced a step by step it should be you.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #19
Hudini
Hobo

Wohoo passed my exams, can finally focus on more creative stuffs a lot of photos and qeustions incoming in the next days,hours,minutes :P
Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #20
Nikola
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudini View Post
Wohoo passed my exams, can finally focus on more creative stuffs a lot of photos and qeustions incoming in the next days,hours,minutes :P
Congrats! Better be straight A's!