Let Users Know - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
JKP
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: o scale
Let Users Know

If you post an issue and members respond with advice and options to help, please let the other users know what you did that fixed your situation or if you just gave up. I like reading issues and fixes, but it seems like the original poster doesn't always respond back what they did to fix an issue or if it got fixed at all ,after getting input from other members. I'm not saying it has to be right away-just nice to know your problem is fixed
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
If you post an issue and members respond with advice and options to help, please let the other users know what you did that fixed your situation or if you just gave up. I like reading issues and fixes, but it seems like the original poster doesn't always respond back what they did to fix an issue or if it got fixed at all ,after getting input from other members. I'm not saying it has to be right away-just nice to know your problem is fixed
That happens a lot.
Especially with new members looking for advice. It seems like they get it and then never say anything one way or another.
You never see them again, or years later they come back with a new problem.
Been that way for a long time.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Yep, welcome to the Internet. Regular posters normally do a follow-up, many new guys are hit-n-run.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
Stan D
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO & G
Attached Images
File Type: png sometimes-i-wonder-what-happened-to-the-people-who-asked.png (143.6 KB, 271 views)
Stan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Atlanta
Brakeman

Well with that problem you aren't alone here. My I am owner and Administrator of my own model railroad discussion board in germany and there are a lot of people asking Questions or copying Infos for theirself and after fixed problems they went away without any notice or thank to the helped members.

Some of them thinking to get all needed Infos for without own researches or let solve problems from others. That is very unfair to all the other mebers who like to give their aknowledge to newbies in our together Hobby.

Me I am more the gentleman who gives my Infos to others when help is needed. I am not an expert in all things and willing to learn from more experienced modellers or hobbyists.

We all are a very big community of fine people with different skills of experiences.

We all are enjoying our together hobby, so it is time to say thank you to all who are willing to share their Infos to others.

My I worked on the former eastern german state railroad short time just before our Backshop had been closed and around 12.000 employees got fired from one day to the next, because of making the railroad more efficient.
Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
spikedrivingblues
Brakeman

I'm a new guy who has asked for help. Although I tried to always follow up I'm sure I'm guilty of moving on one way or another without letting others know how I made out.

I'll try to be better about that. Also, this is a good time to thank everyone here who has offered suggestions and advice. Thanks, guys!
spikedrivingblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
Spike, We appreciate hearing back from responders, who had success with whatever problem they started with. It lets us know that the help didn’t fall on deaf ears. Glad that you got the help you needed.

"Prewar Tinplate fanatic”

Newly Appointed "Tinplate Wizard"
"The man behind the curtain????"
teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
DennyM
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Kinda like holding the door for someone and they act like it's your job.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #9
Trucker Sam
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
THAT’s when I pause the Gentleman function and call out in (not shouting mind you) a load voice to make sure they hear me; You’re welcome! Sometimes it works...
Trucker Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Dennis461
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker Sam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
THAT’s when I pause the Gentleman function and call out in (not shouting mind you) a load voice to make sure they hear me; You’re welcome! Sometimes it works...
I've been shouted at like that. I don't know when it became the norm to hold a door open for a healthy male. Would you also open my car door or give me your seat on a train? I suspect the person holding the door open may also be the person who stole my parking spot at the big box door. So, don't hold the door open for me.

Now, if holding the door open is polite with no hidden motive, why do you feel the need to shout if you are not thanked? Seems to cancel out any intended good will.