3D Printing - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 05-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #21
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankist View Post
Haven't looked into 3d printing news for quite a bit, sure glad that plausible SLA models are now in 3 digit range.

I think I'm going to go for that photon...
There is something of a learning curve in getting it set up just right, and the resin isn't cheap (although probably not much more than the FDM filament on a volume basis). We probably had a dozen failed prints until we got leveling /zeroing and proper placement of supports on the models figured out, but I think you will like it. We love ours. The level of detailmpossible is only really limited by what you can build into a 3D model.

One thing, though: there is a distinct burned plastic odor when printing. You definitely need a well-ventilated area.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 04:34 AM   #22
dee.and.dude
Hobo

Finally printed my first building. Itís twice the size I need but itís an ok start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dee.and.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #23
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

What printer model did you get, and what size is that outhouse (I'm guessing around 50mm square)? That is looking really rough. My first thought is that either your nozzle is too close to the bed or you are over-extruding. I might be able to help you trouble-shoot and get your printer dialed in better, but even the appearance of the X on the door tells me that you should be able to do MUCH better than this.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 AM   #24
dee.and.dude
Hobo

Iíve got a Shining Einstart printer.

I just tried this as my first job. It turned out twice as big as I wanted. I just ran it as is. The next one will be to the correct scale and try for quality over speed

Old 08-02-2019, 04:53 AM   #25
dee.and.dude
Hobo

I think just being an outhouse, and yes Iíve used many, rough and rustic is good. Yes the X is rough, and I havenít cleaned it up much, but that was why I left it that way

Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #26
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
I think 3-D printing is amazing but certainly above my capabilities.
Spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #27
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee.and.dude View Post
Iíve got a Shining Einstart printer.

I just tried this as my first job. It turned out twice as big as I wanted. I just ran it as is. The next one will be to the correct scale and try for quality over speed
I had to do some digging to find any information about this printer. For something that claims to be an open-source platform it appears you are stuck using their proprietary software rather than something decent like Cura or Slic3r? That's gonna cause a real headache when you get into more complex prints, I'm sorry to say.

What I DID dig up, though, was that there is a section in the software for calibrating the Z axis and then calibrating your 'platform leveling'. You may be ok with the way the current print came out, but you'll be far happier with future prints if you take the time to perform these calibrations.

You should also note, when the company said this printer was ready to go right out of the box... yeah they lied to you. Calibration steps absolutely need to be taken with any 3D printer because things tend to shift during shipping. My own printer actually required partial assembly when I got it, so *everything* had to be calibrated. The advantage was I learned a ton about how the printers work and how to troubleshoot a lot of printing problems. It's a steep learning curve, but completely worthwhile if you want to print really tiny objects. I'm afraid for your model of printer and software, that may be about as much help as I can offer.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #28
Panther
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdwdrgn View Post
I had to do some digging to find any information about this printer. For something that claims to be an open-source platform it appears you are stuck using their proprietary software rather than something decent like Cura or Slic3r? That's gonna cause a real headache when you get into more complex prints, I'm sorry to say.

What I DID dig up, though, was that there is a section in the software for calibrating the Z axis and then calibrating your 'platform leveling'. You may be ok with the way the current print came out, but you'll be far happier with future prints if you take the time to perform these calibrations.

You should also note, when the company said this printer was ready to go right out of the box... yeah they lied to you. Calibration steps absolutely need to be taken with any 3D printer because things tend to shift during shipping. My own printer actually required partial assembly when I got it, so *everything* had to be calibrated. The advantage was I learned a ton about how the printers work and how to troubleshoot a lot of printing problems. It's a steep learning curve, but completely worthwhile if you want to print really tiny objects. I'm afraid for your model of printer and software, that may be about as much help as I can offer.
What would be consensus on the best buy for a 3D printer that has Cura or Slic3r capabilities for under $500.00.
Or is that even a reasonable request ?
Dan
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #29
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
What would be consensus on the best buy for a 3D printer that has Cura or Slic3r capabilities for under $500.00.
Or is that even a reasonable request ?
Dan
Dan,

Both of those software packages are slicing tools, which are used to, basically, dissect a 3D model into layers so that it can be printed.

The Anycubic Photon I've described elsewhere in this thread can be found for just over $500, and comes with it's own slicing software, which is capable of slicing any 3D model & file format into a printer-ready file in just a few minutes. No need for either Slic3r or Cura. Use Sketchup, TinkerCAD, Solidworks (if you have access to a free educational license, otherwise this is $1000 software) or the very useful MakeHuman (allows you to assemble human figures from prefabricated parts) to create a 3D model, run it through the slicer, and print.

Is there any particular reason you're tied to those software tools?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #30
Murv2
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee.and.dude View Post

Finally printed my first building. Itís twice the size I need but itís an ok start

If you printed that sideways and put in some grooves for individual boards the print lines would complement the texture.
Murv2 is online now   Reply With Quote