3D Printing - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 08-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #31
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
What would be consensus on the best buy for a 3D printer that has Cura or Slic3r capabilities for under $500.00.
Or is that even a reasonable request ?
Dan
Honestly that question is as loaded as trying to ask what is the best scale to model in. It depends completely on your particular needs and desires, what YOU want to get out of it.

For my own purposes, I wanted to be able to handle a variety of different types of prints, but aiming towards something that could print items for HO trains. I also was fine with doing some assembly myself, and I actually enjoyed the process of learning all the calibration steps and troubleshooting. Finally, I wanted something that had lots of possibilities for custom modifications, and a good community available to help me learn the printer and answer questions I may (surely) have along the way (and I consider a helpful online community to be one of the most important things when starting out with new technology). I honestly spent a couple of hard months getting familiar with my printer, but now I'm confident enough to understand the settings I need for most prints.

Keep in mind that while the filament-based printers are the most popular and easiest to use, resin-based printers have also come down significantly in price and can give you high-detail prints of people in most scales starting at a $300 price tag.

So instead of asking what the 'best' printer is, you need to start with asking questions to see what fits within your skill set, allow people to suggest other pertinent questions you should ask, and take a little time to understand the factors that go in to 3D printing and how they might affect your enjoyment of the process. Of course that is probably true of most any hobby where you will be investing a lot of time and money.
Shdwdrgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #32
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Filament printers are cheap and fun to assemble. SLA printers can produce very fine prints, but like printing ABS filament, SLA resin, means you need an enclosed printer with plenty of ventilation. So you need to keep that in mind. Printing PLA or PETG filament does not require any of that complication.
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #33
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
SLA printers also require some significant post-print processing. Every SLA printer I've seen comes with s vented enclosure.

But I find that the processing and the fumes to be a small price to pay for the amazing levels of detail you can make. To each his own.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #34
dee.and.dude
Hobo

As this is my first foray into this, I only wanted a cheap introductory printer that I could afford.
At this stage, satisfied with the job with the limitations of the printer in relation to my budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dee.and.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:43 AM   #35
dee.and.dude
Hobo

Finally managed to print my first ho building. Still some issues with trying to print a full building due to sagging at the top of the windows, so I’ve turned it into an old unkempt cottage. Now just waiting on leds to finish it off.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #36
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

I really love the job you did with the moss to make it look old! Maybe you can hang a flying ghost inside.

Looks like you still have a lot of calibration work to do on your printer though. From what I can see here my suggestion would be to check your E-steps because it looks like you are over-extruding by quite a lot. In case you're not familiar, E-steps control exactly how much filament is pushed out of the nozzle. So if the slicing software calls for 100mm of filament, you want to make sure that is exactly how much gets pushed out. In your case, it is pushing out way too much which causes all the bulging in the walls and gutter pipes.

For comparison, here's a test print I did with my $300 printer. There are a couple of drooping strands, but this cube is 2" wide and was printed exactly as you see, without any supports. Even cheap printers can produce some really nice quality.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #37
dee.and.dude
Hobo

Thanks for the advice Shdwdgn, I’ll look at it once I get the feed issue sorted.
The spool that came with it sits inside the casing, and was transparent. Trying to reload the spool is a nightmare and full sized reels are too big. So I am making a gantry cradle so the spool hangs directly above the printer and the filament feeds straight down into the injector

Old 11-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #38
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

It's definitely a learning process to figure out how these machines work and how all the various settings affect your print quality. Worth the time though, as you can get some really nice pieces once you have it figured out. Maybe some day they will be as simple and reliable as a paper printer, but I think we're still a long ways off from that.