Outer Melbourne - T Scale Road and Rail - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 06-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
martink
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N & T, (UK & Australia)
Outer Melbourne - T Scale Road and Rail

My second linear motor layout is now taking shape. This is another small Aussie layout, a 48" x 17" model in T scale (1:450) of a typical but fictitious location on the outer edge of the Melbourne electric suburban network. Quite a few lines around Melbourne drop down to single track for their last station or two before the terminus. The setting is the 1970s / early 1980s, and will feature a good mix of EMU stock from that period, all 3D printed.

The track plan is a simple stretched oval, which will mainly run as a point-to-point shuttle with the rear half of the oval concealed behind the backscene. Having a continuous run helps during testing, and will allow a great deal of operating flexibility. As usual, the layout will be fully automated, with up to 4 trains running in a semi-random sequence from either end of hidden track.

The layout also features a working two-lane road system and fully functional level crossing, with road traffic stopping and giving way to the trains.

As with Monbulk Creek, the linear motor system is my own re-implementation of an IDL Motors product. The main construction work is almost done, just needing a few magnetic sensors under the road portion before permanently fixing it in place. Basic testing of each track loop is complete, and the next couple of weeks will be devoted to the electronics and software needed for it to display its full bag of tricks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0002a.jpg (332.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0001a.jpg (491.4 KB, 12 views)
martink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: Prewar Lionel O ... and some dusty HO
Wow. You are the master of super tiny, Martin! Looking forward to this build!

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
martink
Hobo

I've been making steady progress on the electronics, which is (are?) now finally complete. Built, tested, and installed. The support wiring (power supply, controls, etc) is also done. The next step is to upgrade the simple test software I have been using to something that can bring the layout to life. I'll see about making a short under-construction video when it gets to that stage.

I've also started designing one of the trains - "Tait" electric suburban stock from the 1920s that was still in service until the early 1980s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0004a.JPG (269.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0003a.JPG (300.7 KB, 7 views)

Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
martink
Hobo

A working version of the software came together much faster than expected. This simple version only handles 1 train and 5 road vehicles in each direction (instead of the planned 4 and 10), but it proves that everything works as a complete system.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
Awesome! Are you able to control the speed of the train and cars, or is everything as we see it? That's cool how the cars stop when the train is crossing!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
martink
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire21 View Post
Awesome! Are you able to control the speed of the train and cars, or is everything as we see it? That's cool how the cars stop when the train is crossing!
There is full control for the trains, and when complete this will include gradual station stops and starts for a sequence of up to 4 of them. For the cars, I can set a different fixed speed for each lane, but this has to be high enough to give cars enough time to clear the crossing section in the face of an approaching train. I will set a longer warning time for approaching trains though - the current 5 seconds is simply not enough. The cars start and stop by switching sections of track on and off, so this behaviour will always have to be abrupt.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
martink
Hobo

A basic set of three trains for this layout is now complete. They cover two of the main types of suburban stock in service in Melbourne around 1980. If there is time before its first exhibition in late August, I may see about building an example of the third type as well, the one that was starting to replace them. As usual, the models are 3D printed and hand painted, with decals for the gold lining and Eishindo pantographs. The video shows them running on Monbulk Creek for a bush setting, as there are still spots on the network that look much like that.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #8
martink
Hobo

The basic scenic cover is now in place, and the layout is starting to look the way I imagined it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0006.JPG (541.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0005.JPG (649.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: Prewar Lionel O ... and some dusty HO
Martin, your work is superb. Super tiny ... but ... superb!

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:00 AM   #10
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
This is fantastic. I posted a thread about this, with a link here, on the O-Gauge forum. I think this is one of the most interesting layouts I have seen in several years.

Really great!!!

Tags
linear motor , t gauge