Rebuilding & Replacing. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
MrStucky
Brakeman

Rebuilding & Replacing.

Hi Everyone.
These are photos of my used sd40-2 diesel I purchased over the summer. I took the shell off & noticed a loose wire. I fixed this but ended up cracking the shell. Is the shell worth fixing with Gorilla glue/JB Weld, or is it best to get a new one? I plan on cleaning the whole thing, as the “crud” at the end of the drive shaft doesn’t look normal to me. The motor runs but I think the wheels are out of alignment,& I don’t have an nmra standards gauge. I plan on getting a gauge in the future. My psychologist has told me I should buy everything new, yet the fun is lost in fixing things and seeing how things work.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0ACA2C15-D714-48F5-A5AC-B2CA7578854B.jpg (122.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 289AD469-0D5B-456C-865C-D395A8F1AFF2.jpg (160.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 9256FE39-7616-4E16-A91B-CD21283F268C.jpg (202.7 KB, 14 views)
MrStucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Unclear photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStucky View Post
Hi Everyone.
These are photos of my used sd40-2 diesel I purchased over the summer. I took the shell off & noticed a loose wire. I fixed this but ended up cracking the shell. Is the shell worth fixing with Gorilla glue/JB Weld, or is it best to get a new one? I plan on cleaning the whole thing, as the “crud” at the end of the drive shaft doesn’t look normal to me. The motor runs but I think the wheels are out of alignment,& I don’t have an nmra standards gauge. I plan on getting a gauge in the future. My psychologist has told me I should buy everything new, yet the fun is lost in fixing things and seeing how things work.
Thanks

MrStucky;

I can't really tell what all is broken on the shell from your photos. After a second look, I see what I should have the first time. The cab is broken off the rest of the locomotive. It looks like it could be glued. You can strengthen the new joint by gluing thin styrene "splice plates" across the inside of each side, and the roof. If the splice plates run the full length of the cracks, the new joint will be quite strong. Engine shells are made of plastic, so you should be able to glue it with ordinary liquid cement for styrene.
I also can't tell much about the condition of the mechanism from the photos. It looks like only one truck is powered by the motor? Looking again, I still can't tell for certain, but it looks like the motor has shafts coming out of both ends. I think I can see a tiny bit of shaft at the very bottom of the photo of the motor. Hopefully that means that both trucks are driven by gear boxes. You're right, the crud buildup on the gearbox is not normal. It should be disassembled, cleaned of all old grease and crud, and lubed with a small dab of new plastic-compatible grease. DO get an NMRA gage as soon as possible! It is an absolutely essential tool for any model railroad. They;re not expensive, and you can order one from www.modeltrainstuff.com Be sure to specify the scale you want. The NMRA gages come in all popular scales.

good luck, have fun

Traction Fan

Last edited by traction fan; 10-24-2019 at 07:01 PM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
holava
Banned

I side with your psychologist, lol. That was a good one. When I went to Hollywood a screenwriter, twenty plus years ago, a shrink charged $ 150 an hour, so I suppose getting new stuff isn't an option. Yet repairing is definitely fun. Right now I'm in the middle of repairing 8 engines that came slightly damaged/loose in the mail.
holava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
D&J Railroad
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO only and some G scale stuff for display
Looks like a pretty old loco with the square drive shafts.
I don't think the shell would come apart in a clean break like that unless someone else had tried to kit bash it somehow.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
That shell is pretty rough looking.....I'd save my energy for something nicer, but that's just me.....
Old 10-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
MrStucky
Brakeman

Hi Everyone.
My Athearn diesel is powered at each truck by gears. The shell/body cracked right behind the windows when I was adjusting it to the frame, then I picked it up & caused the larger break. I’m glad I didn’t start messing with the mechanical stuff, but I figured it was a buildup of crud & not something I should’ve left as is. I can probably get a new body at Trains & Such the next time I’m in Calgary.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
in the meantime i would repair / glue the shell, least amount of money invested, lol

and practice on the rest ..

wvgca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStucky View Post
Hi Everyone.
My Athearn diesel is powered at each truck by gears. The shell/body cracked right behind the windows when I was adjusting it to the frame, then I picked it up & caused the larger break. I’m glad I didn’t start messing with the mechanical stuff, but I figured it was a buildup of crud & not something I should’ve left as is. I can probably get a new body at Trains & Such the next time I’m in Calgary.
By the look of it, that body has already been hacked to add the wide cab, as the old Athearns did not have a wide cab on them......that's probably why the body broke in a straight line where the cab joins the body.....

I am going to Trains & Such tomorrow, and I'll see what kind of loose bodies they have, but I won't find one with the wide cab, as they didn't do them on older models....
Old 10-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
MrStucky
Brakeman

Hi hobo.
I'm guessing by your response that I'm out of luck finding a new shell. Its close to Halloween though so I could run the loco & run it like its possessed. I bet I could make a new shell out of clear plastic if I had a 3D printer, then add glow in the dark leds or something similar to make it spooky.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
Murv2
Brakeman

If the only problem is the break where the cab meets the body, glue some plastic sheet on the inside of the body so it sticks out into the cab area, then put glue on the cab and slide them together. Tester's plastic glue should hold the joint nicely. Just butting the two together won't make a strong joint. Rescuing old hardware is always worth it, for practice if no other reason.
Murv2 is offline   Reply With Quote