Model Train Forum banner

New Smallville layout

18K views 140 replies 25 participants last post by  Millstonemike 
#1 ·
Some of you have seen the new layout I have started, so I'm going to start my own thread here. Started doing some wiring on the frame of the central part of the layout this evening. I am using ground busses to run 12 gauge wire from the TIU unit to various points of the layout. I will then use smaller drop leads from the track to feed off of the busses. I am planning on having the two variable voltage channels of the TIU to run the main level. One channel will be used for the continuous main line, the other to run a "working line" where my kids and I can move cars around and put them out onto the main. I also plan to have various sidings the can be turned on and off from toggle switches along the main line. I have a mix of conventional, Lion chiefs, TMCC, and MTH dcs units that will be used on the layout. The plan is to have them all sitting on the layout most of the time. My main source of power will be an older ZW transformer which I have 10 amp fuses between the transformer and the input of the TIU. Maybe some of you guys can answer this for me. If I am using the same transformer through all channels of the TIU, can all of the track leads go to the same ground bus? Or should they have their own ground?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 ·
Like you I ran wire busses the length of platform. I ran two un-insulated #20 gauge buss wires in-between the plywood and frame support. One is for AC and other for DC voltage. Wires for each are 2" apart. 20 gauge is good for 1.5 amps or way above the 1/3 amp I use on each buss.

#13 · (Edited)
Just an observation ....

Your wiring would be neater and handle more connections without overlap if the terminal blocks were oriented vertically (instead of horizontal). And there's no need to have the main feed in the middle of the block such that other connections have to overlap it. It could be at the bottom of a vertical block. And it could come from the back side via a hole.

It's as easy to be a "caboose engineer" as it is a backseat driver :)

Electronics Electrical wiring Wire Technology Electronic engineering

Green Line Parallel Diagram

#23 ·
I can recall the smell of trains coupled with an aging attic the couple of times I was up there with my dad's trains (circa 4 1/2 year old). I think he sold them just before we moved into a newly built house when I was 5.

He had this unit (grey, IIRC) that had a microphone like handheld.
You would speak into it and it would cycle the e-unit. I'm pretty sure the wind from your mouth would move a disc inside and break the circuit to cycle the e-unit.

Can't seem to find a pic on the web ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.