Restoring a 1964 Lionel Set. Need Help! - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
servoguy
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
I suggest you get a Dremel tool and use a wire wheel to clean things up. Don't use the wire wheel on plastic. The wire wheel will make everything look much better.

When I use a wire wheel, I take a box about 10" square and hold it between my knees. Then I hold the Dremel tool vertically and work inside the box. The wire wheels will throw out pieces of wire as the wires fatigue and break off. They will get in you clothes and in your shoes and in the soles of your feet. The box catches them so they don't get you.

I don't think you need to disassemble the loco to lube it. You might need to disassemble it to clean it. If there is dried grease on the gears or shafts, 5W-20 oil will soften it. I am lazy about taking stuff apart to clean it. I do it only when it is absolutely necessary.
servoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: Prewar Lionel O ... and some dusty HO
Dremel has two types of wire wheels ...

Silvery shaft is mild steel ... more gentle ... start with this, with caution.

Bronzy shaft is stainless steel ... much more aggressive.

I use the st. stl. one quite a bit on metal parts. My favorite tool, actually! (Except for the viperous bits of death that it shoots out, as Bruce said!)

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
servoguy
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
Make sure you use eye protection when you use a wire wheel or sanding disc or cutoff wheel, etc.
servoguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
ToothlessTinker
Hobo

Scales Modeled: Ho, and O
Quote:
Originally Posted by servoguy View Post
I suggest you get a Dremel tool and use a wire wheel to clean things up. Don't use the wire wheel on plastic. The wire wheel will make everything look much better.

When I use a wire wheel, I take a box about 10" square and hold it between my knees. Then I hold the Dremel tool vertically and work inside the box. The wire wheels will throw out pieces of wire as the wires fatigue and break off. They will get in you clothes and in your shoes and in the soles of your feet. The box catches them so they don't get you.

I don't think you need to disassemble the loco to lube it. You might need to disassemble it to clean it. If there is dried grease on the gears or shafts, 5W-20 oil will soften it. I am lazy about taking stuff apart to clean it. I do it only when it is absolutely necessary.
Well the train has been sitting for probably who knows how long in the box. Probably around 30 years, so I want to take it apart and do a whole clean of the gears to make sure nothing will go wrong.
ToothlessTinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
ToothlessTinker
Hobo

Scales Modeled: Ho, and O
Also the little rubber tires resesed on the drive wheels of the engine. Would a local hobby shop carry those even?
ToothlessTinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Yep, traction tires are pretty readily available. I'd assemble a whole order and then fire off an email to someone like Jeff at The Train Tender and order everything.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems , restore , troubleshooting