Model Train Forum banner

Yet More cheap tricks......

831 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AFGP9 
#1 ·
Ever need a brake wheel for a diecast flat or boxcar.Look in your junk box because everyone has a broken caboose they don't know what to do with.Most caboose have brake wheels on their end rails.File the back stud that holds brake wheel and drill out or tap out the stud.Now Super Glue brake wheel to short piece of stiff wire and mount on flatcar.Helpful tip is use pliers to turn brake wheel while still mounted to stud it helps when punching out retaining stud....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Lots of stuff can be found under vendors tables. I don't have a lot of parts, but will look for junkers if I need a part. I would rather replace a missing part with an original off a donor than a repro. part. It's usually cheaper unless I have a big list of parts that need ordering. "One mans junk is another mans treasure."

#5 ·
An excellent place to go for cheap AF pieces are diecast toy shows. You would be surprised at what you can find cheap because the vender doesn't sell train stuff. "Just brought it along because I don't want it" is the typical statement. The St. Charles, Il. fair grounds has a huge diecast toy show every year, maybe 2 I forget since it has been several years since I have been to one. It is mostly Matchbox and Hot Wheels with other vintage toys mixed in. I got many good buys there on good AF stuff.
Any of you Chicago area guys been there? It's also a good time to get some scale size vehicles for your layouts as well if you don't score any AF train items. Back when I attended regularly, I never came home without at least one AF item, usually an engine. I didn't care if it ran or not because I knew it could be fixed.
Now that I think about it, DuPage has a big toy show as well. Same results there although some of those venders did know what they had but usually were over priced though. They can be talked back down to earth on price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.