Starting Over due to my own fault - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
Panther
Engineer

No pictures, it didn't happen.

Dan
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
MrStucky
Brakeman

I noticed in my recent short "hurricane" of destruction, that I have some damaged track. The track has seperated at the ties. I know that I can fix the HO flex track that is bad, but with damaged sectional track I thought of just getting a new piece. I read a post this morning about fixing damaged sectional track using cutters, saws or a dremel. Can someone confirm this please.
Thanks
MrStucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
it's easier to replace damaged sectional code 100 track, as opposed to 'fixing' it ..

might be a bit more money,, but usually worth it ..

wvgca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #14
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStucky View Post
I noticed in my recent short "hurricane" of destruction, that I have some damaged track. The track has seperated at the ties. I know that I can fix the HO flex track that is bad, but with damaged sectional track I thought of just getting a new piece. I read a post this morning about fixing damaged sectional track using cutters, saws or a dremel. Can someone confirm this please.
Thanks
You're already trying to take shortcuts on your second layout that you haven't even started yet. Throw that damaged track away and do it right.

You might get away with feeding the rails back onto the fishplates with flex track, but throw that sectional crap away.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #15
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStucky View Post
Thanks
Fixing damaged track is a piece of cake. Using a Dremel tool, razor / hacksaw, or rail nippers, cut out the damaged section of track. Throw it away. Replace with appropriate piece of undamaged track. Solder rail joiners. Done

Starting over isn't a bad idea (you may remember that I recommended it), but please, apply the lessons learned from your last go at it: take your time and do it right. Test it as you go, and fix it if it isn't perfect, BEFORE you make it worse by building on to it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #16
MrStucky
Brakeman

Hello everyone.
I'll go buy new sectional track if I need it, as it makes alot more sense than fixing it. The hobby shop I go to sells it individually for around 2.50 or a 6PK for $15.00 or so. I've only been working with flex track at this time, & making sure I do a better job. I'll need to get new cork roadbed as what I bought is all glued down, & more glue now that I think about it.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #17
mesenteria
Dispatcher

I will only use flex track because it is so forgiving. Of course, it provide infinite variability in geometry, which is its chief selling feature.

However, I like it because I DON'T have to spend quite so much time refining the roadbed. I ballast my tracks, and make the flex track elements fall in natural vertical curves. I can tack it down where it meets the roadbed, but where it is suspended due to unevenness, I merely ballast a bit more deeply there. I use beach sand or washed play sand from big box stores, so I can pour cups of the stuff down through the ties and fashion 'fills' the way railroads do. Once the ballast is groomed and glued, my tracks look natural.
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
You can always use the damaged track as abandoned track someplace. Just a thought.

Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #19
MrStucky
Brakeman

Hi Chaos.
Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought of using damaged track on another part of my layout. I go to a hobby shop in Calgary when I visit my sister, & they sell used rolling stock, engines & shells.