Kadee vs. Sergent Engineering - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #21
riogrande
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Hobo View Post

As for being a slave to detail, what amuses me is the folks who need to have track code that is so prototypical, right down to the height of rail in the thousant of an inch....to run their horn hook Tyco cars on.....
Enjoying yourself with that "straw horse" example?

I imagine there may be someone out there that does that, but I haven't see him yet .

Now back to the real world. Oh, sorry to drag you out of that fantasy.
riogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #22
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
Well, I have seen what I have mentioned, actually a couple of times, so I am already in reality....but thanks for your efforts anyway.....
Old 01-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #23
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by riogrande View Post
WTF? Really? I can only speak for myself, and probably 95% of other model train hobbyists and say, BUT you can see'em! As a teen with my early experience with HO, I thought horn hooks looked and worked like crap and was happy to see them go. Heck, I remember watching that Loan Ranger movie with Johnny Depp and there is a long train scene. They invented their own couplers for the train and they looked really weird - there were a number of shots in the movie where you could see them top down. Anyway, Some may not notice how couplers look but I'd think that's the exception.
Easy buddy....I wasn't the one who said you can't see them.....that was Severn......I was just asking the rhetorical question.....

As for the Lone Ranger movie, much of that train was pure CGI, so that may not be a good example to go by......

Just sayin'.....

Old 01-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #24
riogrande
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Hobo View Post
Easy buddy....I wasn't the one who said you can't see them.....that was Severn......I was just asking the rhetorical question.....

As for the Lone Ranger movie, much of that train was pure CGI, so that may not be a good example to go by......

Just sayin'.....
The point remains, even of propagating someone else's comment. Does it really make sense to not care about how couplers look? Truthfully they are not accurate replica's of real couplers, but rather something that is a compromise, which look roughly like real couplers and operate well. Even if you don't look at Kadee's, it would be hard to argue they are the best and most reliable option in HO.

As for the train scenes - from making the movie:

Quote:
Making the movie
Disney and Bruckheimer originally planned to film on an existing mining railroad in southern New Mexico. Construction of the movie's Western towns was already in progress when Disney and Bruckheimer decided to build a brand-new railroad farther north. Albuquerque, N.M.-based Gandy Dancer Railroad and Excavating Services received contracts to do the job. The new line had no outside interchange and was removed after filming was complete.

According to the production company, Gandy Dancer hauled in 3,889,425 pounds of 33-foot rail, bars, tie places and ties from Blythe, Calif. An additional 60,429 pounds of bolts, washers, and other track parts came from Kansas City, Mo., and 402,000 pounds of ties and spikes from Stockton, Calif. The result was a five-mile loop of single- and double-track line in the Rio Puerco desert. Another mile of track, for the many mining scenes, was built near Creede, Colo.

Meanwhile, in Sun Valley, Calif., in northern Los Angeles County, a machine shop built two trainsets complete with two faux steam engines. For ease of movement, the rolling stock was built in the same fashion as shipping containers, in that they could be lifted on and off their chassis' and onto flatbed trucks for highway transport. The two locomotives had hydraulic hoses connecting them to the tenders, where a pair of 1,000 hp Cummins diesel engines supplied power. Both trains were operated from a computer inside the cab. Even so, a real locomotive engineer was in the cab to control the braking system. In case of an emergency, he could override the computer. Movie special effects produced all the smoke and steam there is to see in the film.

The trains were designed for speeds of up to 30 mph. An EMD SW1500 was used to move the cars during shooting when the steam engine was not part of the scene. The meticulous attention paid to the railroad scenes is typical of the entire production effort.
Sounds like a real physical train to me. Regardless, my comment was that the train had some very odd looking couplers, CGI or no. The interesting thing is by the design of the couplers, if you turned a car around 180 degree's it would not couple to the car next to it. They could only couple one way, sort of a male, female design. Very odd and stood out to anyone with an interest in trains. You know, kind of like horn hook couplers looking odd too.
riogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #25
LateStarter
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO; 1/35 & 1/48 U.S. WWII aircraft & armor
Eeesh.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #26
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by riogrande View Post
The point remains, even of propagating someone else's comment. Does it really make sense to not care about how couplers look? Truthfully they are not accurate replica's of real couplers, but rather something that is a compromise, which look roughly like real couplers and operate well. Even if you don't look at Kadee's, it would be hard to argue they are the best and most reliable option in HO.
Hey, I agree with you.....I can see the couplers, so it matters to me how they look.....that's why all my locomotives and cars are Kadee equipped....

Again, I wasn't the one who originally said you can't see them......