DCC on DC - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Beginner Q & A
Forgotten your password?

Beginner Q & A If you're new to model trains, stop in here!

Old 04-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
SlowRoll
Hobo

Thanks all. Here is yet another noob question if you will be patient with me. I see locomotives advertised that contain a DCC chip but no grand announcement of SOUND. If I’m going to pick up a DCC locomotive I want it to be sound equipped. Is a DCC equipped N scale loco without sound difficult to equip with sound?
Thanks all!

SlowRoll.
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #12
PoppetFlatsRR
Engineer

SlowRoll,

What I have found over the last two years, is that the added on sound works, but buying the locomotive with sound seem to work better. Broadway Limited sound seems to me to be the best, but their a little finicky about track conditions.

I have given up on everything but Kato, I only buy Kato locomotives and use their Kobo shop for the sound ones. Kato's just run better on my layout for some reason.

On installing the sound board, I really have no idea. My eyesight is not good enough to do it. The Kobo units from Kato are ESU Loksound. Pretty loud compared to others.
PoppetFlatsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
mesenteria
Dispatcher

Well, you can learn, but if you are middle aged, or the least impaired manually and/or visually, N Scale is tough. Generally, the better job will have been performed by the 16 year old women in China at the assembly lines. I'm dead serious.

However, as a perhaps unwelcome aside, and I may take some flack for this (and all my HO locomotives have sound):

The smaller scale items with sound don't sound so great. Some 're better'n others, to be sure, and a lot depends on the know-how and skill of the installer, but the small spaces in HO scale and on down means tinny sound. Tiny sound, too. Many can't stand it after a while because it is low-fi sound, and they run their more expensive locomotives in silence.

I say this because you may find yourself quite disappointed with the small, tinny sound that will issue from N scale enclosures. Sorry, it's just physics...
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote