Too much going on IRL lately to spend time on the layout. But a rainy day yesterday allowed me to get back to the "Company House #3" laser-kit by Branchline Trains. I wasn't thrilled with the roofing material, so I made my own out of plain old masking tape. Then I mixed up a few of Vallejo's rust colors and slathered that on. I decided it would be a flop house instead of a residence, so... the decals are my first successful DIY.
(Please disregard that crooked front porch post. Ol' man Johnson backed into that last week when he was delivering groceries. He really shouldn't be driving any more.)
Turnout machine installation today. I installed the three Switch Tender machines that I got to try out (since I couldn't find any info/reviews on them).
Easy, straight forward install. Hooked them up to the Digitrax DS64 Stationary Decoder and *SNAP*. Those things switch a turnout in a second - as opposed to the one Switch Master machine I have installed that takes 4-5 seconds.
Interesting caveat on the DS64 – with four switch motors attached the DC voltage for each of the four turnouts dropped to 9.2. As a result the one Switch Master stopped working. So I’m going to have to swap out the supplied 1200 ohm resistor for one in the 900 ohm range.
I’ll install the remaining five Switch Masters that I have tomorrow. For the remaining turnouts I’ll be buying Switch Tenders.