Model Train Forum banner

LION CHEIF TRAIN QUESTION

5K views 69 replies 9 participants last post by  Chiefmcfuz 
#1 ·
How do you run 2 lion chef trains on one track. Thanks

#12 ·
Chief. All your lion chief trains are they ready to run sets. I want to put some switches in just like your layout. I did not know one power supply would power up the whole lay out. I thought you need a power supply for each track.
I really like your layout. Your video was nice. Thanks for the help.

#13 ·
Question: what power supply do you have.
I have 1 ready to run lion chief set it’s the polar express. This lion chief ready to run set comes with a power supply you plug into the wall. It’s not a transformer. If I want to start running 3 lion chief trains like you is this power supply ok or I need a different one. Thanks.

#15 ·
Question: since I am new to this. Right now I only have one train on my layout it’s the polar express lion chief ready to run set. It is powered by its own power supply. Wall wort. If I expand my layout with more ready to run sets can I power all the ready to run sets each with their own power supply/wall wort and not use a transformer or when I add more rtr sets I need to put them on a transformer.
Is the transformer for power or controlling train or both.
What can be put on a transformer lion chief lion chief+ or both.
Since I am new to this I do not know. Thanks.

#18 ·
John. Since I am new to trains. Just asking. When you by a ready to run set like I did. Which I bought the polar express. It’s probably not meant to be upgraded. That’s why they give you a basic wall wort power supply. If you want to run more trains with ready to run sets that is why you have to upgrade the power supply.
But being new to trains I don’t know any of this just taking my own guess. For a first train or starting out maybe this was not the way to go. Ready to run set I mean. I don’t know. Thanks.

#22 ·
yes power supply and transformer are basically the same

a straight power supply can not vary the voltage

a transformer varies the voltage

at least that is the easiest way to understand it

are you new at this and do we need to explain everything because that would be easier then piece mealing the answers.

#24 ·
This is a quick floor layout I did when I was still planning to finish the basement. It was 2 locomotives and all that track with the Lionel CW 80. The CW 80 is an 80 watt starter set transformer that came with another set.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Since your using the z-4000 the 80 would be good for lights or accessories .

I have 2 80's and am using one for lights and a few accessories.
The other is not being used as I power the trains with a ZW.

What is nice about using them for the lights is that you can adjust the brightness if needed.

I also have a bunch of older transformers in a box if I need them. I picked them up God knows where.:D

Bull........figure out how much room you have and make your own plan.

#26 ·
Ed I use the Z4000 for the trains and switches and now a ZW for accessories, but he could use a CW 80 to power 2 Lionchief locos and 4 switches no problem for now if he wanted to.

Also check out www.thortrains.net for track layout ideas. I think it's the best site for track layout reference. The late Thor Sheil really put together a great site.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#30 ·
That's the ticket. Where the two sheets meet, I'd tie them together to insure a a smooth transition between them. That could be a couple of steel bars (like 4" x 1/2" x 1/8") with short screws into the underside of the plywood sheets.

Something like this from Home Depot:

Technology Electronic device Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.