New Car - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
New Car

I bought a Mustang GT yesterday. It is about 400 HP down from Spence's new Challenger, but still, with 465 HP and a 10-spd trans, it supposedly can do 60 mph in just under 4 secs. I'll never try but its nice to know it could. All I wanted is the big V8's around-town torque, and the absolutely delightful "big American V8" exhaust sound, it has just enough all the time when inside the car - it would get old on a long trip but its great otherwise - I love it!

I got exactly the color and trim I wanted, and most of the options, on a car advertised with a heavy discount - the dealer had had it for four months. I guess I'm the only person who wanted the big engine and 10-speed trans, but the softer base suspension and standard (better looking in my opinion) wheels. It took the dealer ten minutes to move cars to dig it out of the middle of a cluster of cars in "the overflow lot," where it had sat for three months. The photo shows it all dirty from being out in the rain for a while, just after they pulled it out.

Anyway, it is hard to think of any car that gives you more HP per dollar - it came in at just over $80/HP drive out. I realize V8s are on their way out and four-cylinder turbos are the next-new thing on our way to all electric vehicles, but for a little while at least - jus tfor a while longer, the good times still roll here!

New Car.jpg
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Lee, you will have a ball with that new mustang. Looks good. Just a joy to drive.
I bought a new left over 2018 F150 4X4 in January. I sold fords for 30 years and
went to the dealership I worked at. I was sales manager there for my last 10 years
and just about everybody in sales dept I had hired. So they really took care of me.
Of coarse I wanted a deal. I really got lucky, they only had 2 2018 F150s left. 1 a 6cyl
turbo ( yes everybody is going turbos) and the other was a truck that if I had ordered one was almost exactly like I would have ordered. V-8, bucket seats, floor shift, 4X4,
trailer tow package, and 20 inch wheels. My new truck has basically same motor as your new one. 20 less HPs. I got the 10 speed transmission also. You will love the coyote motor and 10 speed. I don't have the rumble you have yet. I plan to get the Rousch cat back exhaust for it. It sounds great. My new truck is a rocket ship. Fastest
vehicle I have had since my 65 GTO tri power. Have fun with your new car.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
mopac
Station Master

Not that your new car needs more horses but if you ever feel the need, Rousch makes
, or sells, a super charger for the coyote motor, its not a turbo charger but a super charger. Will give you about 650 horses. I think I heard it will not void your warranty.
I have had enough experience with turbo chargers and I don't want one. Even today
there is such a thing as turbo lag.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
Dennis461
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Good luck with it!

I've owned some fast Fords back in the day.
Best time I had, 1972 Ford Torino with 351 Cleveland engine.
Running fast on a back road parallel with railroad tracks.
Came to a crossing where road stopped, crossed over track, continued parallel on other side of tracks, like a sharp S turn.

The tracks were of course elevated.
So I cut hard right, hit the tracks, went airborne landed in opposite lane, luckily no one else was on the road!

I think cars were built stronger once, the Torino had a frame.
My '67 and '68 mustangs were unibody.
Dennis461 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
Kind of amazing what they can do with 5 liters these days. I had a 96 Mustang GT (the first year they used the modular 4.6 V8). It made less than half the HP of today’s 5.0 V8.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Lee, do you know what the rear axle ratio is?

Nice mustang. I've always liked them in white. A little blue striping wouldn't hurt.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
mopac
Station Master

Yep, on the HP. My truck is 395HP. High 13s in the quarter.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
Lee, Plays with Trains, collects die cast vehicles, buys a modern “Muscle Car”......seems obvious that You refuse to get Old!!!!
ROFLMAO, and just have fun with the new toy.

"Prewar Tinplate fanatic”

Newly Appointed "Tinplate Wizard"
"The man behind the curtain????"
teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #9
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
Just don't kill yourself in it.....old man with too much power is a bad thing, as we have seen every day lately.......
Old 03-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
MichaelE
Dispatcher

My Dad has always been a gearhead and bought a '95 Z28 Camaro ordered to his specs when he was 65. It was fast in its day, but not like what they are offering off of the showroom today.

I got it two years later when he passed away. Not as quick or as fast as my '71 Buick GSX but it handled a lot better.