What's happening to the interest in narrow gauge? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Other Scales
Forgotten your password?

Other Scales TT, T, HOn3, Narrow Gauge

Old 09-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
timreinhard
Hobo

What's happening to the interest in narrow gauge?

Hi all,

I've been modeling in narrow gauge (HOn3 and On30) for quite a few years. After a 4 year break from the hobby and a downsizing in housing, I've got bitten by the bug again.

The problem is that I don't see a lot of interest from the manufactures in the way of new products. Blackstone (HOn3) makes great models, but the release of new models seems to be very slow. Bachmann (ON30) does not seem to be adding to it's product line. I've collected a lot of equipment in these scales, and would like to continue in these scales.

So my questions are:
What do you think the future of narrow gauge is?
If you were starting over, would you model in a more popular scale like HO or N standard gauge?

Thanks for your opinion.

Tim
timreinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Country Joe

Narrow gauge modelers are a dedicated bunch but they have always been a small segment of the hobby. I think Bachmann's On30 line did really well for a while but they may have saturated the market. They made about every locomotive anyone could want as well as freight and passenger cars.

I considered On30 10+years ago but went with standard gauge instead. With NG it's possible to build a whole railroad and operate it just like a real one and that's one of it's draws. Plus, NG trains are shorter, no 100 car trains, so a small layout is more realistic. But I went with SG because of the variety, plus I've always loved the New York Central.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
Ace
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO, O, N, HOn30, OO, S, Sb2000
American narrow gauge is a niche market in model railroading. You'll have to shop around to find different products, or kitbash or scratch-build.

I have a little bit of HOn30 but it's just a sideshow layout with kitbashed equipment. I use smaller older-style HO equipment on N-gauge wheelsets and motors. It's freelanced, started as a joke actually.

European and Japanese narrow gauge has more model offerings because those countries have substantial active narrow gauge railway systems and more modelers interested.

I posed this freelanced HOn30 train outdoors on Kato UniTrack.

Tim: you mentioned "After a 4 year break from the hobby and a downsizing in housing ... " and "(HOn3)... (ON30) ... I've collected a lot of equipment in these scales, and would like to continue in these scales ..."

If you already have a lot of equipment, why do you need a bunch more? Do you have an actual layout right now? Just wondering. Some of the best American-style narrow gauge layouts have modest amounts of equipment, reflecting the limited prototype operations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008-4304-HOn30-train.jpg (211.9 KB, 6 views)
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
timreinhard
Hobo

Hi Ace, I have a good collection of HO and HOn3, but as I get older it gets harder to work in that scale. That is the reason I made the switch to On30. Much easier to paint, detail, weather, etc. The other thing is I like to collect engines and rolling stock. It seems that Bachmann has not added too much to their "roster" while I was on my break.

Tim
timreinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
Tedh
Hobo

Scales Modeled: 1/4 inch Narrow gauge
Restarting

As has been said, American narrow gauge is something most people don't engage in. I'm re-entering the scene after a long time away from it. I began back in 1981 and built to 5.5mm to the foot scale(55n3), something only one or two people modeled in. Later I did some On30 and 3/8n2.

A lot has changed since then, especially scenic techniques and digital control etc. But I ain't gonna try and catch up. To me it is an artistic expression and the only way to achieve that is scratchbuild. The great thing about narrow gauge is that in a number of cases, necessity was the mother of invention. So freelancing everything is fine, because that's what really took place in cases like the Shay locomotives.

I'm currently in the basic design stage of my project, a 1/4 inch narrow gauge mining set up, which will be completely freelanced. That is and will be covered at http://lillines.com.

Kind regards - Ted Hawkins
http://lillines.com
Tedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
gnnpnut
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timreinhard View Post
Hi all,

I've been modeling in narrow gauge (HOn3 and On30) for quite a few years. After a 4 year break from the hobby and a downsizing in housing, I've got bitten by the bug again.

The problem is that I don't see a lot of interest from the manufactures in the way of new products. Blackstone (HOn3) makes great models, but the release of new models seems to be very slow. Bachmann (ON30) does not seem to be adding to it's product line. I've collected a lot of equipment in these scales, and would like to continue in these scales.

So my questions are:
What do you think the future of narrow gauge is?
If you were starting over, would you model in a more popular scale like HO or N standard gauge?

Thanks for your opinion.

Tim
As long as there are great "running museums" such as the Cumbres and Toltec, Durango and Silverton, and White Pass and Yukon, and Sumpter Valley, there is going to be interest in narrow gauge.

For me, it is a case of staying focused on one plan. I'd love to dabble in narrow gauge, but it just doesn't "fit" into my current plans and interest. So people like me get to live vicariously through the efforts of the hundreds of outstanding narrow gauge model railroads out there. From what I've seen, the detail that folks put into their efforts in narrow gauge is nothing short of outstanding.

Regards,
Jerry
gnnpnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
FlightRisk
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO and O
Old thread, but seeing if it all still applies

Has anything changed in narrow gauge or is it still just a niche market? I really hate 3 rail track, but thought On30 would look "strange", like it was a big body sitting on too narrow trucks or that it was unstable and prone to tipping over. What are your thoughts and experiences?
FlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
My Christmas train is On30. It also has the smallest flanges I've seen on any model train. It tracks perfectly and shows no signs of tipping. I like to run it at full speed sometimes too. It does look a little strange, but I think it's a strange that's pretty cool.

Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Tom_C
Engineer

Scales Modeled: On30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightRisk View Post
Has anything changed in narrow gauge or is it still just a niche market? I really hate 3 rail track, but thought On30 would look "strange", like it was a big body sitting on too narrow trucks or that it was unstable and prone to tipping over. What are your thoughts and experiences?
I also run narrow gauge for my holiday layout. The cars aren't quite the same size as O gauge, they are a bit smaller, but larger than HO. They track well on the track, I've had no problems. But yes, it's a niche market. Only Bachmann seems to build stuff for the US market.
Tom_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
MichaelE
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Narrow guage HO is still quite popular in the German counties of Europe. Particularly Switzerland.