Model Train Forum banner

The Science of How Trains Turn Without Falling Off the Tracks

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  CF-DRG 
#1 ·
Very interesting if you like to understand how things work.

#2 · (Edited)
Well, without watching the video I know that the inside rail in a spiral is shorter than the outside rail. The wheel tread/tire being beveled (wider radius inside than outside) allows the inside wheel to essentially become level to the railhead while the outside tends to climb the rail, leaning the vehicle inward, better 'balancing' the loco and cars around the curve, the outside wheel and flange now having less influence through the curvature while saving wear and tear on both the wheels and the rail.
This is also why automobiles necessitate a 'differential box' middle of the driving axle. The tires not being beveled, the box allows the inside wheel to roll slower than the outside wheel, inturn keeping rubber tires from prematurely wearing down on turns.
I then watched video and he essentially says the same thing but with more scientific demonstration and accuracy. Very cool the way he sets it up using the cups...:rolleyes:

#4 ·
Looking at the two shapes, my brain says the unstable one would work best. But after seeing the video, it becomes perfectly clear why the other one works. Very interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.