Model Train Forum banner

New to Z, Questions

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ftauss 
#1 ·
I have O, HO and N and picked up a Marklin Z Christmas set to put on my desk at work.

I am a fan of roadbed track for temporary setups. All I can see is Micro Trains brand and it looks available. Opinions please.

Frank

#4 ·
I don't really have a permanent layout for my Z Gauge trains- all I have is an oval of track. It's the micro-trains track, it works well. One thing to watch out for is the little plastic connectors under the roadbed in the track, it's hard to describe them but they're the plastic connectors that go under the metal rail connectors/contacts. They seem like they're separate pieces, but they're already put in the track. Though most of them have stayed in, one is missing, I guess it fell out somewhere :confused: It doesn't seem to affect the track though, but I'm not sure what happens if you connect two pieces of track that are missing the plastic connectors. I use a Marklin Z transformer and 2 Marklin Z trains on it with their cars (Both are 2-6-0's, one has a tender and one does not), so Marklin trains should work with it (Unless other Marklin Z locomotives are different). I can't say for certain if you can connect regular Marklin Z track to it with the metal rail connectors though.

#5 ·
Track Types

Roadbed track ...

Micro-Trains' Micro-Track
or
Rokuhan Track

Both are made in China and are really good functioning track.

Micro-Trains (MTL) track is produced in USA-prototype tie spacing.

Rokuhan track is based on Euro spacing standards.

Rokuhan has copied all pieces that Marklin produced PLUS added tighter as well as gentler curves. Micro Trains only went with basic pieces for modules or larger layouts. Cannot do fine/smaller layouts with MTL track.

Rokuhan's turnouts have the motor mechanism built in to them and the cost is very low compared to Marklin's turnouts.

Frank Daniels
z.scale.hobo

#6 ·
I built a quick layout for Christmas to take to work. I went with the Rokuhan. I bought some other Marklin engines and cars. I have 3 loops running in 2' x 4'. The people at work are very impressed.

I have to say that I am beyond impressed with the Rokuhan I have an RC03 and an RC02controller, extra turnout controllers, bunch of turnouts and the double crossover. For the most part they work flawlessly. 2 days in a row, 8 hours a day. I even have a siding where I can switch between a freight and a passenger train occasionally on the middle track.

I'll post pictures shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.