Model Train Forum banner

Friends in the Model Train Hobby

740 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
#1 ·
Building friendships comes easily in our Hobby. We chat on this forum, we meet at York or local meets and over time our friendships grow.

Last week my bride Kathy and I drove to Maine. On the way we stopped to have dinner with John and Sue Hennings, better known as Bluecomet400. We met John and Sue at Brian PTC's home about 3 years ago. We met again at York and began a correspondence with each other. We had a planned outing in Portland, ME and had dinner together this past Wednesday night.. Wonderful meal with wonderful people. On Thursday we drove up to Brunswick, while on our way to Stetson, ME to visit my brother Warren. John and his wife Sue live in Brunswick and we stopped at their home to see his layout.

Below are pictures of John's layout and collection. My words could not tell you the whole story. John has a life long association with the O scale hobby. His father was a collector and sold trains at York for many years. John would go with him as a kid and learned the whole model train collecting art at York and by his father's side. After John's father passed away, he continued to trade and buy trains at York in his Father's same location. On the far left, in the first picture below you will see a painting of a boy and his Father. That is John in the arms of his Father.

John has a reasonably large collection of Prewar and Post War trains. You will see them in some of the pictures. It is impressive. They are impeccable pieces. They were not collected randomly. These are the units his Father and now John chose to collect and cherish.

Just like all of us, his layout is not completed . It is designed to run his trains. He rotates his units off the walls and lets them run so he can relax and enjoy them. It is a very nice room, he and his wife have built. There isn't much room for a crowd but that does not matter, it's just him and his trains. :)

I want to thank John and Sue for inviting us to Maine. I look forward to a long and enjoyable friendship.

My best to all of you.

Building Room Tourist attraction Interior design

Transport Track Vehicle Scale model Railway

Supermarket Building Retail Sky Grocery store

Smile Team

See less See more
#7 ·
I've always loved the trains. I think I enjoyed the Christmas holidays more for seeing the layouts of friends and cousins more than receiving gifts.

But the most fun of all is sharing the hobby and meeting people through the hobby and forums, and ending up not just as friends but they become family. And the fun Wood and John are having is a perfect example.

#10 ·
I couldn't agree more, Brian. Time spent in my train room is always better with friends. The camaraderie that is shared among us train nuts is priceless--I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the rest of the world thinks we're nuts, so we have to stick together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.