Getting stuff lit - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 11-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Theamazingswal
Brakeman

I started to light my passenger cars today. I cut 12 SMD LEDS from the 16ft strip I bought. I glued them to the car' roof and solder on a mini connector in case I wanted to detach the roof later. I wanted to use the mini plug connector but you really don't have to use one. You cannot solder the connecting wires to the Walther's rail pick ups tabs so I had to glue them on. The spring steel they use for the pickups cannot be soldered. The car looks great all lighted up. Now 10 more to go.
George

lighted_passenger_car_inside_wiring.jpg

lighted_passenger_car.jpg
Theamazingswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #22
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Great job. I need to light mine. At least one train's worth.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #23
Theamazingswal
Brakeman

Thanks Mike. I've made a change on how I connect to the Walther's passenger cars electrical pickups.

I've got 8 of my 16 Walther's passenger cars lit but I changed the method on how the strip LEDS I bought connect to the car's pickups. I decided to make push on's like you see in locomotives. They work well. I thought the lights looked a little to bright so I soldered on a 150 ohm resistor to the LED strip. The car's lights look a little bright in the below photo buts that's the camera. They look great.
George

passenger_cars_lit_003.jpg

passenger_cars_lit_002.jpg

passenger_cars_lit_001.jpg

Old 11-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #24
Theamazingswal
Brakeman

Continuing on getting stuff lit I bought some goose neck lights. The lights where 10 for $6.40 free shipping. I bought 2 packs. How can you beat the price? That's 0.64 cents a light. I used them on my barrel factory & 1 of Hunts Point Market wholesale produce buildings. I do the others in the weeks to come. I also ordered some freight yard lights. 20 for $6.40 cents free shipping. I bought 40. With these prices I finally found it affordable to light my entire layout.
George

Goose_Neck_Lights.JPG

barrel_factory.jpg

Hunts_Point_Market.jpg

Yard_Lights.JPG
Old 11-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #25
Theamazingswal
Brakeman

Continuing on around the layout lighting stuff up I had to relight the RR memorabilia dwarf signal I created a few years ago. I made a mistake of connecting it to a 12v power supply one day a blew the two dollar store flashlights I use to light the signal. I did not use any rocket science as a format to light this signal. I took out the flashlight's battery parts and soldered on 2 wires that connect to a 3 volt power supply. I also bought a dollar store green plastic school notebook, cut out 2 pieces to place in front of the flashlights to display a clear signal.
George

Dwarf_Signal_1.jpg

dwarf_signal_2.jpg