help choosing a new engine to pull vintage cars - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
d_obie_33
Hobo
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
help choosing a new engine to pull vintage cars

so my dad has an old set (70's era) of Mantua New York Central passenger cars that his father bought and they have never been run.

Both my grandfather and my dad bought multiple engines (mostly bachmann but also an atlas) and no engine has been able to pull all 5 at the same time.

Coming to the real question, so this year for christmas im getting him a new engine he has had his eyes on the alaskan F7 style engines. Matching isnt as important as most of his 70's-80's era engines are starting to die off and he wants one good engine that can pull all of them until he gets his setup in his basement. Then he will buy the matching engine for the cars in question. So what are some brands to look at for the best bang for your buck power wise, details aren't as important, just something reliable that will pull these cars.

I can possibly sneak some pictures of it if he pulls the cars out this year.
d_obie_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
prrfan
Conductor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 473
Scales Modeled: HO
Is it possible to post some photos of the cars? Since you only have one post, it may not be. The actual length of the car and whether it has 8 wheels or 12 wheels may help us make suggestions.
prrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Dennis461
Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Atco, NJ....near the race track
Posts: 875
Scales Modeled: HO
Images: 11
need more data

I'll bet the 'other' engines are too light.
Clean the wheels and wheel bearings on the cars with isopropyl alcohol, not a whole lot, just a drop or too. Then try again.

A newer heavy weighted F7 should be able to pull them.
__________________
Electrical Engineer: Retired
Former SEPTA Regional Rail Division electrician
Dennis461 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-03-2019, 02:21 AM   #4
trenes115
Hobo
 
trenes115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 42
Depending on how old the passengers cars are, the truck frames may be metal so a little light lubrication on the axle points may help them roll better.

Some passenger cars have brass/copper wipers that pick up power from the axles for car lighting. Those can add quite a bit of drag if they are pressing too tightly against the axles.
trenes115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
J.Albert1949
Conductor
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 484
How about a Proto2000 E-8 in New York Central paint?
Or perhaps another older NYC engine?

I'd check ebay with the search terms "Proto2000" and "New York Central" and see what you come up with.
J.Albert1949 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
DanERIE
Hobo
 
DanERIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 15
Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
There are many brand new Athearn “Blue Box” locos available that are legendary for durability.
__________________
USAF 1958-62, NRA member
DanERIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
d_obie_33
Hobo
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prrfan View Post
Is it possible to post some photos of the cars? Since you only have one post, it may not be. The actual length of the car and whether it has 8 wheels or 12 wheels may help us make suggestions.
He is pulling them out tomorrow so I will get some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis461 View Post
I'll bet the 'other' engines are too light.
Clean the wheels and wheel bearings on the cars with isopropyl alcohol, not a whole lot, just a drop or too. Then try again.

A newer heavy weighted F7 should be able to pull them.
He loves the bachmann trains and is wierd about trying anything else. Both of us have been out of the train world for years, are the modern bachmanns powerful enough? Or should I look at other brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenes115 View Post
Depending on how old the passengers cars are, the truck frames may be metal so a little light lubrication on the axle points may help them roll better.

Some passenger cars have brass/copper wipers that pick up power from the axles for car lighting. Those can add quite a bit of drag if they are pressing too tightly against the axles.
I will definitely check this, I'm pretty sure the cars are completely metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Albert1949 View Post
How about a Proto2000 E-8 in New York Central paint?
Or perhaps another older NYC engine?

I'd check ebay with the search terms "Proto2000" and "New York Central" and see what you come up with.
They look like beautiful engines, thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanERIE View Post
There are many brand new Athearn “Blue Box” locos available that are legendary for durability.
I will look into those, there are VERY few hobby shops around my immediate area to really shop around at anymore
d_obie_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
Dennis461
Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Atco, NJ....near the race track
Posts: 875
Scales Modeled: HO
Images: 11
Did you decide on track radius? I have some Bachmann steam locomotives with rubber tires on some drivers, but they look stupid on 18# radius curves. I've been unloading them on ebay.

So, look at the locomotive wheels for a groove to see if the rubber tires are missing.
__________________
Electrical Engineer: Retired
Former SEPTA Regional Rail Division electrician
Dennis461 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
d_obie_33
Hobo
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis461 View Post
Did you decide on track radius? I have some Bachmann steam locomotives with rubber tires on some drivers, but they look stupid on 18# radius curves. I've been unloading them on ebay.

So, look at the locomotive wheels for a groove to see if the rubber tires are missing.
He has his Christmas platform up now, I think it's 18" curves but I would have to double check
d_obie_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #10
Jscullans
Brakeman
 
Jscullans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: streator il
Posts: 108
Scales Modeled: ho scale
For my own opinion I really like the proto 2000 locomotives. They also have a proto 1000 c liners and Erie built locomotives which I hear are good runners. They also come in the nyc livery. I like the athearn blue box locomotives but if I get them I get ones that have flywheels or I do a can motor swap in them just because I expect them to run smooth even if track isn’t cleanest. Blue box is also relatively easy to swap to dcc if desired. I would recommend staying away from rivarossi if you’re looking to pull a long cut of passenger cars. They seem to be light so tractive effort will drop. Really any of the newer locos will be a good fit as long as it’s of reasonable quality and not a “toy”
Jscullans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


» Visit These Sites:
LGB World

Or Our European Train Website ModelRailForum




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.