New Girl Here with Grandpa’s Old Trains - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Ewilson47
Hobo

New Girl Here with Grandpa’s Old Trains

Hello! I’m new here, my mother in law wanted me to try to sell her father’s N scale trains, so figured what better place than a model train forum!

I hope that’s ok, I also wanted to join to learn more about these things too! It’s all super interesting!

Thanks for having me here!

Eileen
Ewilson47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Welcome to the forum. We do have a "for sale" section. Learn how to post pics here.
Hard to sell without pics. Enjoy your stay here. I think you need 5 posts before you can post pics.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Ewilson47
Hobo

Thank you! Just did 🙂 Appreciate it!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Deane Johnson
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO - U.P. & CB&Q
Eileen, you'll find the folks here more than willing to help you with the project.

It's all about photos, description and pricing.
Deane Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Ewilson47
Hobo

Thank you! Yeah, i just realized I posted the stuff but did NOT post a price, so dumb!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
You can edit your post and add the price.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
Panther
Engineer

Welcome Eileen;

Might I suggest that you continue to read about Model Train collecting. You may find it interesting the more you learn, and decide to keep them. If you have kids or plan too, then they would have a wonderful set of trains with a personal history. Don't be to anxious to sell them. Give it a couple months. Ask questions look at layouts, read some stories about other inherited trains. Like any other hobby, it's not so much about the items as the journey learning and creating.

Dan
Panther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewilson47 View Post
Hello! I’m new here, my mother in law wanted me to try to sell her father’s N scale trains, so figured what better place than a model train forum!

I hope that’s ok, I also wanted to join to learn more about these things too! It’s all super interesting!

Thanks for having me here!

Eileen

Eileen;

Welcome to the forum!

The others have already advised you about where, and how, to try selling those old trains.
Unfortunately, used trains seldom sell, and never for anything like their original cost. You can find current, full retail, prices for N-scale trains at www.walthers.com Then you can compare those prices to what used trains are actually selling for on E-bay. The E-bay prices generally run less than half the retail prices.
Also, be aware that this comparison is for fairly new production N-scale trains. The current production is much, much, higher in quality than the 1970s trains you probably have. I have been a N-scale modeler from that time up to now, and I've seen the tremendous improvement in N-scale during those years.
You can get an approximate idea of the age of your trains from the couplers. (Couplers are the hook things that attach one car to another car.) Older N-scale used "Rapido" brand couplers. These were large plastic items that looked like square hooks.
Newer production N-scale come with "knuckle" couplers. These are smaller than Rapidos, and a different shape. Knuckle couplers are sort of shaped like a human hand. If you look at two connected knuckle couplers from above, they look like two hands joined in a handshake.

By all means try selling the trains if you wish. You are welcome to post close-up, clear, photos; and your asking prices on our "For Sale, Member-to-Member" section.
However the idea of keeping them, or even donating them to a charity, may work out for you.

If you want to learn more about model railroading, and maybe build a layout for yourself, or your family, the attached files have lots of information that may be helpful.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do;

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 4.pdf